1. Click here to join our community discord server.

My MG Custom Map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by L1teHawk, Jan 26, 2011.

1. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

A custom MG map I'm working on

Yeah, yeah, I realize custom maps aren't very popular, but hey! It's a map I'm working on especially for MG! It's made in 3DS Max and (hopefully) will be fully ported to Hammer.

So let's get on with it. The versus campaign takes place when a group of survivors steal Valve's boat and end up on the island (credit goes to Honor for the idea). They have no idea what they are about to face. The goal is to set an SOS by completing a 3 part campaign.

Note: I know I said it would take place in hollywood, but making a city is harder than making vegetation IMO.

I would appreciate if everyone somehow lends a hand, either by criticizing it or helping with Hammer. I suck at Hammer. So I bet you all are dieing to see what I have so far. This is the island (it may look small but I assure you-- it's not):

NOTE!!! These are BIG image files. Give them time to load. Beware!
    http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/3033/islandtu.png

And let's not forget the famous Marvelous Gaming landmark! This is by far my favorite!
    http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4156/mg3p.png

My buddy 3DS Max xD
    http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1701 ... window.png

The goal: To finish a complete campaign and put it up at L4DMaps. The name of the map is Get Some, credits go to Vulcan. I'm sure it'll also get a lot of people to come and visit as well so they can play on this map.

What I have so far:
    - The island.
    - The Landmark

What I Have left:
    - The campaign
    - Optimized, yet need to get rid of some distant trees or add a texture as a replacement or something, filesize atm is 1.88 GB. O.O

2. Vulcan

Vulcan Game Server Moderator

Re: My MG Custom Map

I love custom maps and campaigns, the pics look great. Make sure to upload them to L4dMaps so everyone can get a taste. :mrgreen:

3. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

Will do after it's done. Exactly my plan :) I'll put it in the name of MG so everyone can come play on this site =P

At the moment it has a very high poly count and optimization takes a LONG time. So I figured I'll finish the map before I port it into Hammer.

4. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

lol. Imagine if you spelt "Marvelous Gaming" wrong haha!

5. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

:shock: That would really suck xD Current render time took 20 minutes with Frustum Culling off in the Mental Ray parameters. Can't turn it on till it's optimized.

Also, Hammer looks really simple compared to 3DS Max, but still I need some getting used to. If anyone is good with it here, let me know and I'll transfer over the max file--just be sure to have a ton of ram xD

6. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

OK, some updates. I'm adding named mountains in the map. I've got Mt. LiteHawk and Mt. Honor thus far xD I can have up to 7 mountains before killing the rendering engine, so the next 5 people that want a personal mountain in their name, speak up xD

7. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

An entire campaign, wow I can't believe it when I see those pics lol. We sure as hell gonna run it dedicated when the campaign has been finished :)

But for the name of the campaign wow that's a difficult one, have to think about that :)

Btw I tried hammer a couple of hours but I got really really dizzy when using it. It's such a bad application.

Anyway, I can see you are good in web design as well as 3DS max. This stuff is just blowing me away.

8. Vulcan

Vulcan Game Server Moderator

9. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

"Get Some" actually sounds like a good map. Renamed! :)

Honor will be taking my map and adding entities, panic event locations, etc and set a boundary around the island (it's pretty deep water you know xD).

10. HonorCode

HonorCode Head Administrator Staff Member

Hammer sucks to build the physic part of the map, but is the only way to place entities such as objects, garbage, zombie spots etc :P.

11. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

Thats why you are doing it xD

The map itself with such intense graphics is VERY hard to design. If anyone has used a 3d modeling program, you know what I am talking about. I took a 3d environment modeling class (a two year, 4 semester class) just on this...

12. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

This looks amazing, you're very talented xD
    However, since it's a custom map, would it be better on CSS?
    I'm all for it being on l4d, but honestly, how many people d'ya think will download it?

13. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

L4D2, but still, if no one it can be for us xD And I think people will see it on L4Dmaps and come to this site to play. (I hope xD)

14. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

Hopefully, aswell as steamgroup announcements and custom events it could be VERY popular.
    Maybe a whole server dedicated to it...marvel? :P

15. marvel

Of course it's gonna run dedicated, don't worry :)

16. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

Alright, managed to bring it down to 1.22 GB. Maybe I should be getting rid of a lot of trees as the user won't be able to see most of them anyways. All those trees are only good for a sky view.

17. marvel

1.22 GB :shock:

Wow that's.....huge :)

18. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

"insert witty comment"

19. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

wow.. looks like crysis warhead on full graphics

EPIC!

[​IMG]

20. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Would be easier to just have one server running this.
    2GB = D:

Hawk, is it a whole campaign? If so, can you make it so that it has more than 5 maps? 8 maps sounds good - after all, if your running solely this, on just one server, then people want variations in their gameplay. People want more for that big a download.

But would players download it? We need massive announcement spam to make people download it. I'm adamant that people will download it IF we get all the admins on the server; that way the server will get massively popular.