1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Zombie survival MMO - The War Z: Here's the competition.

Discussion in 'DayZ Servers' started by marvel, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

This was to be expected. The War Z is being released this fall for $30.

The world in War Z is 200 to 400 square kilometers in size. Each server can handle up to 250 players (nice). There will be a market system where you can buy and sell goods like weapons, food etc. You can even put a reward on someone's head and get him killed.

There are two modes, normal and hardcore where in hardcore if you get killed you have to create a new character (like in DayZ).

This game will be a MMO with public dedicated servers but there will be an option to host private dedicated servers as well. This means there is no subscription or monthly fee required to play the game.

For screenshots see:

http://games.fok.nl/nieuws/553739/1/1/50/overleven-met-zombies-in-the-war-z.html

My own opinion:

This looks good, although I'm a bit worried because this game didn't have any community input at all like DayZ.

What they did right from the start though is allowing 250 players per server and allowing public and private dedicated servers. They don't mention anything about a linux dedicated server, though.

Also the zombie models look way better than in DayZ where in DayZ a zombie is just a player with a crappy skin wrapped around it.

I know DayZ has a lot of shortcomings which this game tries to fix, but the atmosphere, the Russian environment, the music is what makes DayZ a great game. It will be hard to duplicate that into a new game so I'm a bit skeptical for now.

2. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks good so far, but if we're ever gonna support this game with dedicated server, we must be there from start as 250 slots servers won't fill that easily after there are hundreds of them. :P

As for the community input, they will replace that with ads and marketing and physical copies i assume...

However, i prefer CryEngine 3.. this would be stunning with it and incompareable with anything else.

Plague for the win :P

3. WeeJocky

WeeJocky Game Server Moderator

Interesting; I hope this turns out to be more than just a shinier DayZ. I also hope it's slightly more action oriented, which judging by the kill count in that screenshot, it is. Also looks to have shambling zombies rather than the infected of DayZ which is a good thing in my books (large numbers of shamblers > small numbers of sprinters).

It's interesting how many games of this new sub genre of zombie MMO-lites have surfaced around the same time; DayZ, The War Z, The Dead Linger, (NMRIH, sort of); it's just unfortunate that they are labeled as DayZ rip-offs despite being in development long before DayZ was ever released.

Oh, go here to sign up for the "The War Z" beta; http://thewarz.com/

4. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

Wow, awesome! Die DayZ, die! :D <--- for getting on my wrong side

5. MrFiveO

MrFiveO MG Donor

Sure looks promising, Gonna sign up right now for the beta :D

6. lukemurawski

7. atreyucore

atreyucore Senior Member

i think i might just pick this game up. Signed up for beta

[video=youtube;hzsCmKWglf4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzsCmKWglf4[/video]

8. JorisK

JorisK Day Z Admin

Can't wait for this to be released, i will defenately pre-order it once it's there!

9. MrFiveO

MrFiveO MG Donor

10. JorisK

JorisK Day Z Admin

For you information, the website/forums are alive: http://thewarz.com/

You can now sign up for beta-testing.

11. WeeJocky

WeeJocky Game Server Moderator

Unfortunately it would appear they plan on hosting all servers themselves and renting them out to people; which means heavily limited server customisation :( , at least they actually allow private and reserved slot servers.

Not exactly a deal breaker but a blow none-the-less.

12. atreyucore

atreyucore Senior Member

i hope us beta ppl get it for less than $30 lol

13. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Aw for pete's sake! It would be better if they allowed customization - hopefully they will regularly update it atleast and have a better anti-cheat system than DayZ.

14. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Yeah that sucks but I can understand why for some part, DayZ is almost unplayable right now with all the hacking and admin abuse. I understand why they like to keep control but it won't be a community game this way.

Ah well, we still have Luke and others working on a game, that's gonna beat both DayZ AND The War Z ;)

15. lukemurawski

We are building a game based on real psychology (with the help of my psychology professor) and Valve's community psychology, so no doubt will the multiplayer experience be better.

16. joerve

joerve Senior Member

I recently saw the engine war Z is running on. It just sucks.

17. JorisK

JorisK Day Z Admin

An update: the past weeks more and more info and screenshots became available. Most of it can be found in their dev forums.

Today they revealed their "Colorado" map:
    [​IMG]
    http://forums.thewarz.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2979&d=1346646372

This picture shows 90% of the map.

The map (170sq km) is smaller compared to Chernarus (220 sq km) but a large part of Chernarus is just useless sea and woods (the nortern part of the map)

Can't wait to see more of this :)

18. Yvan?vitch

Yvan?vitch Guest

19. JorisK

JorisK Day Z Admin

20. jtork

jtork Senior Member

I like the idea of global bounty for bandits .... hope that gets implemented

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.