1. Click here to join our community discord server.

!votemute access for donors

Discussion in 'Game Server Ideas' started by Penguin, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Penguin

Penguin Guest

I think it would be cool if donors had an option to vote mute people in the server.

When used correctly this would be great, i thought of this just now when i am in a coop server and two people are spamming voice chat with music and there is no admins online for any help, i didn't want to votekick as i didn't know if that was appropriate for the situation.

2. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

Agreed. Sometimes the foreign/unrelated conversation/spammers get to me too :P

3. TaLi

TaLi Guest

ahhhh voice spammers are the kryptonite to my superman
    i agree it needs to be done somehow since votekicking is abused anyway and some people really do have no limits when it comes to spamming voice chat
    or maybe somehow have the ability to choose "mute xxx player" from !players option, but that should be available to everyone not just donors

4. Penguin

Penguin Guest

I agree if this were something that could be implemented then it should be available to everyone, but a !votemute should be donor only i think

5. Hey Koolaid

Hey Koolaid Head Administrator

There is already a way to mute players without having to go through this. In the console type show_voice_mute or voice_show_mute *I forgot the structure of the plugin* and then voice_mute (the number of the person you don't want to hear)

I realise that it is annoying sometimes but we have some users that don't always play by the rules in the donors seat. So giving them the option to voice mute someone could be taken out of hand. I understand the fact that there are good players that abide by the rules but the option i posted above will solve it alot simpler. :)

p.s. Only use this on players that are spamming. If you use this on admins and then brake the rules and say you never heard them warn you, you will not get a brake on your ban. We can verify both things so please use intelligence always when using these commands. :)

6. TaLi

TaLi Guest

i highly doubt that myself or many other players will remember this console option and remember to use it everytime this accures
    i think having the ability to mute individual players while in game is easier without having to go to console
    and the same way admins cant be kicked for being afk should apply so that admins cant be muted. plus there arent many admins who use the mic anyways as i have noticed, but still
    its kind of a pain to play with the voice recieve set to 0 every time 1 or 2 people start the spamming
    cause i would like to hear the other players who speak regularly and help the team win the round (vs) or survive the campaign (coop)

7. Penguin

Penguin Guest

is this a plugin that has been put in the servers or is this a set command that is on all valve games?

just curious as it would be useful on TF2 and others games as such

EDIT: i just tried both them commands that koolaid said by the way and it says there is no such command when i try it "/

8. These are the commands that I used to voicemute certain players when they are starting to hurt my ears.
    Firstly, bring up console through the "~" button. It is the button just below your escape button on your keyboard.
    Next, enter "voice_show_mute", a numbered list with all the players in the server will show up. Note the number of the player that you wish to mute.
    Then, enter "voice_mute" followed by the number.
    Annoying player will be muted, go back to your game by pressing the "~" again. And you can continue your gameplay in peace.:ranger:

9. TaLi

TaLi Guest

does it apply till either one of us leaves game or needs to be done every single map?
    again its a good fix but there should be an option for the team to be able to decide to mute someone if this person is being abusive and there isnt an admin around
    or a simple menu option to mute someone and have a nice game without going to console. its not a huge task but some people dont know how to use it and arent reading this thread or visiting the forums
    i dont think vote muting by donors should be the solution cause sometimes there arent any donors in game. a player should have the individual option to have a peaceful game

10. Hey Koolaid

Hey Koolaid Head Administrator

I haven't had to use this since i first started playing. I'll check into it in a few.

11. sk3ith90

sk3ith90 Member

its apply till leave the games i think~ i use that command too and the person is muted all map~ :D

12. TaLi

TaLi Guest

i used it yesterday and it didnt work
    i wrote it in console it opened a list of players and then i wrote it again and added the number of player but i could still hear that player all game
    did i do it wrong?

13. erik

erik MG Donor

I think so, this is supposed to change the ability to hear them or not.

Side-note, try your Options / Audio / Voice Receive Settings (I turn that down frequently when people yell a lot or if I'm not in the mood for the chatter.)

If it's actual spam or they're being obnoxious you can always summon an admin or say something in the chatbox and we'll contact you for details.

14. TaLi

TaLi Guest

i use the voice recieve set to 0 sometimes (as my names in game can suggest, roughly 13 hours of this already) but its a pain to have to be deaf to the whole team just cause of one person
    as of recent events i decided to mute the specific player but it did not work for me
    the result is to not play while this player is in game
    luckily more servers are available now so its not hard to find a peaceful game
    i still would like the option of !players - mute player to be considered somehow as i know it would be benefitial to people who much like myself cannot play properly when there is too much chatter that isnt game related

15. erik

erik MG Donor

HonorCode has a really full plate, as always, and has like 10+ new buffs in testing stages right now.

However, I like this idea and think it's prudent... if it crosses-off one more issue that gamers are concerned about, I will always call it a good idea.

You have my vote.

16. Duncan

Duncan New Member

votemoute is easy to remember than the code, and the same goes for votegag, but I cant help to think that if we get that, people are gonna use it against anyone they dont like, or just because they can :/

Since we get a lot of new players everyday many new trolls come to play and insult and spam with hate comments the chatbox because they dont wanna follow the basic rules (most of discussions start because they wanna play as inf every time) and it gets annoying, to the point where one of us starts a votekick and thats the end of it. Same goes for microphone spammers with the mic open all the time, and even if you ask them nicely 100 times to close the mic, the guys just ignore you or laugh about your request, and that also ends up in a votekick.

I guess !votemute !votegag could avoid us to kick players, but I dont think that all players should have access to those tools, because I dont trust all the donors not to abuse of them. (and like I said many times before, I feel the same way about !votekick).

17. TaLi

TaLi Guest

its actually not about new players who abuse mic/chat cause most new players leave/get kicked/stop spamming pretty fast. its about players who have been here a long time and werent told to shut up when they shouldve been, cause they were funny/cute or whatever and now they speak constantly since the minute they join game till they leave, which as u know can take hours.

it wont let me upload an image so http://i42.tinypic.com/2niy3c3.jpg
    this is what i had in mind i think it should be simple like the !cp menu and it will keep record of things and maybe at some point even extinguish the use of !votekick alltogether

18. Penguin

Penguin Guest

I like this and think it would be a fantastic idea!

19. Steph

Steph Game Server Moderator

I wanna votemute longjohn when his mic dont work please lol <3

20. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

I wanna votemute longjohn when his mic does work please lol <3