1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

Votekicks

Discussion in 'Rules & Admin List' started by erik, Mar 5, 2013.

1. erik

erik MG Donor

Occsional votekicks are necessary, like if someone refuses to leave the saferoom or is teamswitching excessively w/ no admin around...

But lately, people have been abusing the privilege to cast a vote

1.) Players are getting kicked cuz they "don't pass the tank."

2.) Players are getting kicked cuz "they're too low level."

3.) Players are getting kicked cuz they made one screw-up and are new to the server.

That's Votekick Abuse, and you can be banned for it. Check the rules, thanks

2. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

:fameme:Thank you for your fingers typing such a beautiful thread.

3. TJ

TJ MG Donor

Just a suggestion (and please read it all before replying), is it possible to make everyone immune to votekick? Yea, I understand that is a feature currently only available to donors, but donors get so much already and I'm pretty sure most donors didn't buy their donor package just for the votekick immunity. Plus most donors are high level and almost never need to worry about votekick. The majority of people getting abused by the votekick system are "newbies" and low-levels anyway and if we want them to continue to stay on our servers (and even donate, though not a requirement), why not make them immune to votekick? That way they won't be hesitant to return to our servers. Yes, I also know that, as Erik said, votekicks are necessary but in the few situations where they are (usually because of team switchers), I don't think it's too much effort to just get an admin in there to ban them; if that's not enough, maybe also implement a system that prevents switching teams under certain circumstances (i say certain circumstances because I know sometimes its necessary). IDK, but votekick abuse has been around since I joined MG and it's nothing new, and perhaps that's the best way to stop it. Better to have a few trolls here and there that we can't kick than to have plenty of newcomers that we kick and will not return. Maybe you guys could test it out for a week or two at least and see if there are any problems?

4. Who's Ya Daddy

Who's Ya Daddy New Member

So thats the best you came up with? This is totally lame to disable the votekick feature. :tsk:
    Moreover you don't play on the servers anymore so its futile.

5. TJ

TJ MG Donor

Well then give your own solution. Like I said it was an idea and for the record I still play on the servers with my other account every now and then so your second remark is false. When I used to play more regularly, I can only recall a few times when I ever thought vote kick was necessary and that's after 2 years of playing. So that's why I suggested it because 9 times out of 10, when I saw a vote kick, it was usually abuse. Surely you yourself, as long as youve been here, have seen how often vote kick abuse has been a problem and a discussion here. No one ever offers anything close to a solution. There won't ever be a change then and the few bans are never gonna be enough to prevent the vote kick abuse.

6. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

Have to agree with TJ. Maybe votekick immunity to newbies until say level 20 or so because surely at that point they can choose whether to obey the rules to avoid votekicking or to buy premium to prevent it. May increase revenue this way too.

7. littlebrother

littlebrother MG Donor

I do like this idea.. you can easily get up to level 20 within the day itself. And the hours spend in our PR server should teach the player a thing or two on how the PR game works in MG.

A level cap immunity is a nice touch to it but today itself i encounter a problem with a newbie below level 5 (can't remember exactly but it was definitely below 5) who was scolding other players for telling the newbie how to play a l4d game in MG. The newbie thought this is like any other PR mod server so he keeps saying he knows what he is doing but has no clue actually as our PR mod is way UNIQUE compare to other PR server. The newbie refused to listen to good advice and replied with profanity. In the end the player left as one of our regular player could not tolerate and decided to cast a vote on the newbie. Before the vote could be finalized, the newbie left the game.

This is an isolated case and a rare one but why i am telling this incident is because if MG do decide to make such changes concerning immunity for the benefit of the newbie, players won't be able to votekick a new player who is rude or nasty to others as they are protected by immunity till they reach a certain level and this will usually annoy a lot of our regular players.

I would see this problem manifesting in PR Versus more than PR Coop as players always have issue with team switchers and newbie tends to switch a lot from my experience here moderating our PR server as they are curious and usually they just wanna play for a winning team or just to play as infected always.

This is just my 2 cents worth of advise.

8. TJ

TJ MG Donor

I thought about this, but problems like that don't arise that often and if its really that serious there's always votegag (but I'm not sure if its still around cuz it's been awhile since I've seen someone do it) or votemute. Also as a last resort you could also get an admin if its a serious troll. But usually we don't have to worry about that. The level cap idea is also an excellent twist to my idea as well. That way u can vote kick the players who have been here long enough to know the rules and protect those who haven't.

9. tank

tank MG Donor

votekicking is become some kind of virus,i see people on vs pr tryin to kick admins 2 :) 4 switching (take a molo and melee)

10. erik

erik MG Donor

- Kicking someone cuz you don't like how they sound on mic is votekick abuse.

Please read the Rules. Thanks,

11. littlebrother

littlebrother MG Donor

The best part is when the player said "who cares if your admin, i'm still kicking you" :smiley-signs117:

12. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

Then how about a profanity filter or a profanity counter so that after a few rude words, the immunity is briefly lifted?

13. Cunner

Cunner MG Donor

well, for people like myself, swearing is so natural and i do my best to keep it in check! but if something starts counting my "profanity" i will lose my sh*t!!!! many bigger issues to deal with in my opinion. as long as it's not racist or hurtful it should be alright, within reason, lets not get nit-picky???

:smiley-talk034:

14. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

I didn't say punish those that swear often nor am I 'nit-picking'. If you have read the entire thread you'd understand what
    I'm trying to say. If you fail to understand, read it again.

Lvl 0-20 get votekick immunity, however the profanity counter will run in the background so that, if a lvl 0-20 is abusive/offensive, after a certain amount of bitching the immunity will be lifted and a votekick can commence :)

You're welcome.

15. Cunner

Cunner MG Donor

well well well,

I DO NOT CARE by what level immunity, or else i would of mentioned it!!!!! i read the threads, don't worry about me, k boss?
    It was just my opinion like i stated, did not mean to, get u mad bro? end off with "you're welcome" like i just got a "sick burn" was pretty clever(not really), lol, i leave it at that!
    it seems others got the point of my post, there is always one that turns it to drama, chill out man, just the forum, we all can have our opinions even if people don't like them!!!!!!
    i would like to think we are all old enough to deal with a little bad language, that was all i was saying, don't care about other points! leave it at that pls,

enjoy ur time here at MG and just have fun, K?
    :smiley-happy065:

16. soulcatcher2000

soulcatcher2000 MG Donor

The only problem I see with profanity and the sex talk on the servers is that there are underaged players now on the servers from time to time and if we are going to allow them to play then we need to keep the profane and vulgar language to a minimum. I also don't always wear my headset, and some of the things that get said on the sever I don't want my son overhearing.:please:

17. Cunner

Cunner MG Donor

i noticed that on the week-end, there were alot of females in-game and a few guys were acting like they were the first women they had ever come into contact with, it was very very cheesy and they did take the "flirting" a little far, it did get anoying for ME so the ladies must have been a little weirded out but they handled it well!:gun:

not something for children too hear though i agree, we just have to police the server's as we can and if it gets outta hand i'm sure Admin will step up to the plate!

i don't like votekicking people, it is a last resort, sometimes we deal with very young people and have to consider their age, and NOT kick them right away though, give them a little more time to smartin' up, it may be frustrating playing with them(esp. if they have a mic and don't know how to use it) but not a reason to kick'em(right away) see if they can sort it out, older folk know better and we can be more direct, lol!

:smiley-happy093: