1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Versus Modification VOTE (PR)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HonorCode, Jan 9, 2013.

1. erik

erik MG Donor

This thread STARTED as a versus modification vote.

It turned into many things, including bug reporting, suggestions for further modification, etc.

Clearly, we all wanna see some kind of change in PR-VS.

However, bear in mind that when the vote was closed, It was mostly carried by maxed out high level gamers.

I think we should re-evaluate the vote.

As it stands now, no changes. Let's keep the discussion alive so we can get good things coming.

2. Captain Obviuos

Captain Obviuos MG Donor

Since the Workshop was opened by Steam, now being able to access any and all maps (and perhaps designing new ones) should bring a new influx of players to L4D2, I think. This is going on a 4 year-old game now; most games have less shelf life, but this is still the zombie shooter to beat; and as such, bringing out more content is rejuvenating! I would love to see several of the add-on maps -- like Warcelona, City 17, Dead Before Dawn, etc. -- make it to VS, that would bring a lot of jaded high-levels back and make it funner.

Returning to my earlier comment about designing new maps, hey, isn't this right up a game designer's alley? How about some of YOU guys, who use the Authoring Tools, create some? I am just throwing ideas out there.... I have more, but nobody's asked my opinion ANYway. :smiley-signs013:

3. cry

cry MG Donor

I agree. Those new workshop maps should come to VS, it would be a very good change. To mention: a change that nobody would disagree with I think.

4. erik

erik MG Donor

I agree with you, Cry...

One thing ppl may not have thought about yet is the size of addon maps. Not file size. I mean map-run size.

Personally, in terms of VERSUS, maps like Back 2 School or whatever... even conventional size ones... They're LONG MAPS lol.

The usual "theme" or common denominator among these maps is some sort of prop_phyics-oriented maze.

This would be VERY VERY VERY cumbersome for PR-VS gamers. Many would NOT play long. Right now, our dedicated gamers wait forever to get into the server. They stay for 4+ campaigns or so average, from what I observe.

With these insufferably long maps, people will leave faster. Since, obviously, all hours are NOT peak hours for (EU) PR-VS, my concern is that it would make:

- our most popular server NOT full when it could be

and

- due to a change in the climate of gamer interest, keeping it anything other than the way it is could backfire.

We NEED new maps, though. Other gamers, almost every one with us, I think, that I've asked, has made mention of this.

If we pay careful attention to WHAT ones we choose/host, and just really put some thought into selecting ones that are friendly to our PR-VS gaming style (and ones that keep the server moving at the same speed...)

...then it WILL work and will be a popular success.

I don't mean to sound overly-opinionated, but I would bet cash money that if we can honor the facts "server needs to be kept moving at all times," and "they need to be friendly maps for our mods, like boomer bitch slap or karma charge,"... they'll work.

Thanks!

5. cry

cry MG Donor

Well you have a good point there erik. But I don't quite understand the actual problem here. Do you mean that it is technically harder to use those maps in VS because they are bigger, or do you mean our dedicated players would take longer to join, which could actually keep them from doing that?

You are right though, if it takes me too long to join VS and I find something else to do I mostly quit waiting for it. Though when you are in, a long map doesn't make me think it is less fun. I also never have anybody heard or seen complaining about a map being too long yet.

I do think though, publishing new custom maps to VS, not only to helms deep, will differentiate MG more from others. I think it will bring in more new people because their attention is being drawn from the group servers list. That will also mean that if they find out our forums, they might as well join Day-Z or War-Z too ;)

6. avilroad

avilroad MG Donor

???

7. erik

erik MG Donor

No one has complained about it before... Because it hasn't been a problem before!

I'm simply making a point... half of a full / busy server gets agitated when a simple finale lasts over an hour (or a map like Dead Center Mall.) Can't argue that fact... or what happens after a long campaign and the server suddenly empties out (even during peak hours.)

I don't mind maps w/ a lot of longevity or time-involved, I'm just stating facts.

If we didn't carefully look at what map options would be viable for PR-VS (addons,) people may not enjoy them as much.

We finally got clientside downloading and the chief complaints were about their antiquated metered bandwidth plan issues from the size of the maps to begin with.

I didn't mean to make a Federal Case out of one small point; it's not like we wouldn't carefully choose the maps anyways.

8. Calcium

Calcium MG Donor

Imo biggest problem in versus is when you have 4-5 lvl160~200 survivor rushing tgt. They're pretty much invincible, especially in non-finale map where director spawned tanks are rare and the survivor can just steamroll the map with their 2 knives, kit, painkillers and a arsenal of weapons/tools in their !buy menu.

Simple fix, buff the infected !buy menu. I mean, everything on the infected !buy menu looks bad. I mean Horde and panic event is just a simple waste of bounty. Heal is useless unless you're a tank. Witches are useless and prone to fire damage and friendly tank punches. Vomit Bile was good in the past, for a cheap 20 bounty, you can mess with the survivor's vision(and possibly, prevent him from shooting you with explosive ammo when you attempt to nab him.) No idea why the price went up to 40. The only thing left that looks remotely good on the menu is the tank. However, it's a slap in the face if you spend 60 bounty and instead of getting control of the tank you spent 60 bounty on, some random lowbie gets it and die in seconds. Unreal.

Disclaimer: I havent played on versus for a month now, so I dont know what was changed.

9. erik

erik MG Donor

I must defend the PR-VS Infected !buy menu, here...

You won't see 5-6 pages of options, simply, because your Skills, Upgrades & Buffs cover them. We can't offer "extra-sticky goo" or anything like that on a buy basis... however, at least let me note that I requested "whoever buys the tank gets the tank, then sort it out from there..."

From what I see and whenever I play, almost every single argument, fight or debate on PR-VS takes place simply over the issue of tanks. I think we can expect some changes in this area before long; keep an eye out for HonorCode's posts...

The scramble system is another animal, entirely... but to keep it separate:

1.) (At least on SMALLER servers,) I agree, it should put more weight & importance on
    head count, not just "score."

2.) True gamer level should factor into the system scramble. I believe, not totally sure here,
    that your ACTUAL level is what it is based on. I'm 210, but went down to 150 a few weeks ago.

I think 150 is the level it calculates into scramble. Perhaps if it pulled the "level" data from elsewhere,
    we could see a little more accurate of a scramble.

3.) Some sort of checks & balances system... obviously, as Calcium said, there are many times (usually
    on < 14 player servers,) where you'll see:

200 vs 150
    210 vs 103
    180 vs 9
    200 vs 189

...or something like that. Since Admin isn't there 100% of the time... and !votescramble doesn't always help
    (people run out before vote is concluded,) this could be nice.

I don't want to ask too much, though, w/ the scramble system, so perhaps when we DO acutally ask for it...
    we could agree on 3 or 4 simple conditions they can code in for us?

4.) Forced scramble if x # of players join before next round.

Those are the ones I could think of. Modifying SI !buy will be difficult and have to re-think PR entirely... that may not happen at all, or for some time...

Either way, sorry for helping make this a thread about everything we wanna discuss about PR-VS... but a lot of good points have come out of this... hopefully w/ community help we can make it constructive and get results with the obvious stuff like tanks, scramble system, etc.

Thank you

10. erik

erik MG Donor

In matches with many high level players, primarily high level players, or simply good support... it became WAY too easy to make the survivors spend the entire round biled. That's not a zombie apocalypse, nor is it a versus match. It's some new shitty mode of versus with no visibility.

The change was to affect balance for the greater.