1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

Unable to connect

Discussion in 'Server Questions / Issues' started by couppawn, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. couppawn

couppawn Junior Member

Hello, I've been regularly playing on your servers for the last month or so and as of yesterday I have been unable to connect to any MG server. When I click join, the loading screen pops up and then it literally hangs at about 10% loaded for about 5 minutes and then says "unable to connect". I'm from the states, but live in Japan and haven't had any problems until yesterday.

Did you update something or begin blocking certain pings? Usually I sit about 200-300 on US/LA servers. I'm going to miss this place if you are deliberately blocking me. I don't see my username on the ban list, so any advice will help. Note: Disabling windows firewall and my anti-virus haven't helped.

2. HighVolt@ge

HighVolt@ge Senior Member

Usually when you get this message, the IP isnt correct. USUALLY....

3. couppawn

couppawn Junior Member

I just tried manually entering the serve info via the console and it still didn't work. I have no problem with connecting to random games in L4D2 and had no problems until yesterday afternoon. At least yesterday I could connect and see people, albeit with massive lag, but today it seems like I connect but get dropped before I even see any loaded graphics; e.g. I can see myself on the mgftw.com statistics site as connected, but in-game I am still "loading".

4. couppawn

couppawn Junior Member

Here is what my console gives me after attempting to connect the last 2 times:

Parent cvar in server.dll not allowed (spit_scaling_min_scale)
    Parent cvar in client.dll not allowed (cl_spoof_official_ip)
    Game supporting (2) split screen players
    maxplayers set to 18
    MissionManager: Mission file "missions/campaign11.txt" has invalid settings for game mode survival
    Failed to parse custom font file 'resource/marlett.ttf'
    Steam config directory: h:\programs\steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2.exe\platform\config
    MissionManager: Mission file "missions/campaign11.txt" has invalid settings for game mode survival
    Unknown command "chet_debug_idle"
    Can't use cheat cvar nav_show_area_info in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar rr_thenany_score_slop in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    NET_GetBindAddresses found 192.168.24.88: 'Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection'
    Opened Steam Socket NS_SERVER ( virtual port 27015 ) : listen socket handle( 65539 )
    Opened Steam Socket NS_CLIENT ( virtual port 27005 ) : listen socket handle( 4 )
    Network: IP 192.168.24.88, mode MP, dedicated No, ports 27015 SV / 27005 CL
    BinkOpen( h:\programs\steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\media\l4d2_background04.bik )
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_start in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_end in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_color in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_colorskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_color in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_colorskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_startskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar fog_endskybox in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar r_farz in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    Can't use cheat cvar r_farz in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1.
    ] openserverbrowser
    ] connect
    Usage: connect <server>
    ] connect 173.231.42.164
    Connecting to public(173.231.42.164:27015)
    Sending UDP connect to public IP 173.231.42.164:27015
    Server using '<none>' lobbies, requiring pw no, lobby id 0
    RememberIPAddressForLobby: lobby 0 from address 173.231.42.164:27015
    CSteam3Client::InitiateConnection: 173.231.42.164:27015
    Connected to 173.231.42.164:27015

Server connection timed out.
    BinkOpen( h:\programs\steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\media\l4d2_background04.bik )

5. Nova

Nova Senior Member

Try restarting the game.

If that doesn't work, try checking the integrity of the game via Steam.

Steam Library -> L4D2 -> Properties -> Local Files (tab) -> Verify Integiry of Game Cache

6. couppawn

couppawn Junior Member

I give up, attempting full re-install of L4D2. Tried resetting router and computer restart, no luck. I'll let you know tomorrow if I have any luck. Time for bed!

7. HighVolt@ge

Thats sux! I had to reinstall a week or two back, sux ass :( . Other games sometimes have a cache that can be cleared and this usually fixes connection issues, much like clearing the cache in your browser. I don't know that l4d2 has such a folder or technique

8. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Try in console: rate 20000

9. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

That should fix it, I've made some changes, the minimal rate on our server is now 16000, so every client who is trying to connect with a lower rate (say 7500) will be set to 16000. There must be something in your cfg file that forces your game to a lower rate, and thus the server doesn't accept you.

10. smokke1982

smokke1982 Banned

Best part of the whole post :)

11. couppawn

couppawn Junior Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The full reinstall seems to work, as I was able to join a game with my typical ping rate.
    @smokke, I think those are server-side things. I don't have any add-ons or cheats installed. In fact, I pretty much suck at this game, but it's a lot of fun!

12. Nova

Nova Senior Member

Glad to hear it works.

13. couppawn

couppawn Junior Member

Well, the reinstall worked for about 3 connections and now I am back to the same problems...

14. Nova

Nova Senior Member

That's strange... What are your rates in-game?

15. couppawn

couppawn Junior Member

Well, I just unplugged my fiber optic modem, some other japanese device and my router for a minute, and plugged them all back in and now I can connect again. This is frustrating, but at least i can play again. Right now i'm about 200-300ms on ping.

16. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

17. couppawn

couppawn Junior Member

I really do appreciate all the help! I hope this solution works for a while. I love playing on your servers and the support you guys are giving is only compelling me to continue to come back :)

18. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

So has it worked? :)

19. couppawn

couppawn Junior Member

Yep, it worked smoothly after the router reset.

20. HighVolt@ge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.