1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

SG server down again

Discussion in '[L4D2] Points Reloaded' started by Ben Tinner, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Ben Tinner

Ben Tinner Guest

Is there a problem with the SG servers? It is no longer listed on the server list at sourcebans.

2. Ben, if you were keeping up with the chatbox messages from a few days ago
    [01:06] marvel : And Stef no they will never give up, amazes me as well [01:06] marvel : Yeah HLX is broken because SIN is nulled, so it keeps trying to connect. Removed SIN for now so it's working again]

HLstats was broken so SIN servers had to be removed in order to fix the problem that was going on atm.
    There was also another message that Marvel had written about SIN servers in the chatbox, unfortunately It is long since gone. but according to what marvel said (approximately)
    the SIN servers were in a DDOS Blackhole. (Basically, SIN servers were DDoSed)

3. Ben Tinner

Ben Tinner Guest

Wow... i wonder why asian servers are very attractive targets for DDoS. BTW what happened to the HK servers? Don't tell me they have been DDoSed too???

4. The HK servers ended up being replaced by the SIN servers. however the story to that is from this forum post that marvel made
    Basically, Marvel only wanted to keep either SIN or HK, so he went with SIN servers because of the better ping location for us ASIA players. (even though I'm based In AUS)
    if I'm correct it was probably marvel as well who probably wanted to switch HK VS over to SIN VS ensure only 1 type of COOP and VS in the ASIA region. that was to ensure the servers didn't get unpopulated (my guess at that)

what marvel said in a past forum post is below

HK VS is fine but both COOPS keep crashing so I've shut them down for now since they became unplayable because of it.

I don't think HK COOP will come back anyway, because of 2 COOP servers in Asia EU got less populated so I'll probably stick with COOP on SIN and VS on HK in the future.

5. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Sorry guys I gave it much thought but SIN is not coming back for now, US has been shut down for now as well as it had to be extended. There are just not enough players right now to justify all these servers running which costs us hundreds of dollars each month. We appreciate the donations we still receive from the store but it hasn't been enough for a long time now and we can't keep up paying for it from our own pocket. I mean if the severs are played on I don't even mind doing so but when they're empty it's just a waste of money.

So for now we will scale back to just the EU server, MG origins from Europe so it wouldn't make sense to put our focus on US or Asia. The good thing about this is that it will mean less player fragmentation over all the different servers. The bad thing of course is that a lot of people will have a bad ping.

This is not permanent though, when things change again in the future, let's say L4D3 comes out or if there's need for more servers in any other way we will scale up again and extend to the other locations once more.

6. ChooChoo

ChooChoo Head Administrator Staff Member

Good plan. It has been a tad quiet lately. o:

7. *I wonder where choochoo has been? we have not seen him in COOP for a very long while. (other than that)

Good choice to make marvel, even though getting rid of the servers might seem like the best idea to all of us there is 1 moderate negative that we can all expect from this change.
    - Increased queue times on COOP server, during normal gameplay and even a lot longer queue times than normal during event gameplay on COOP/EVENT servers.
    I know that in the past you guys might have taken US VS up to 20 slots or so if I recall (correct me if I was wrong) so I was wondering if Marvel in the future decided to +4 slots a server if that was one of his choices over the addition of servers? +4 Slots on VS seems like a bad idea atm as it = more negative effects than positive effects overall and a bad impact on VS gameplay overall. I am not sure about the +4 slots on COOP since i'm likely there is a lot more negative effects than positive effects to it and I have not seen a COOP server with /20 slots in the time that I've played mgftw.

*Custom COOP server i've noticed has only been getting like 1 or 2 players out of /16 on the server itself and mostly being empty every so even. most likely because nothing new has come out yet since HC told us that custom coop was going to be getting something new for us players to do(Custom COOP quests, again correct me if I'm wrong). I just hope that by the end of February it wont die down like the other servers died down just yesterday. I would also imagine I wouldn't know how much it really takes to run Custom COOP along with all the other servers at this time now.

Overall what we are not certain about is the actual future of Custom COOP and that WE deserve to never know the truth for ourselves as such until the very end.

Something below that was said by [FiR] Fᴀted 0ne [Σ] who I chatted with in steam earlier this afternoon.
    [FiR] Fᴀted 0ne [Σ]: Did you know
    [FiR] Fᴀted 0ne [Σ]: Around 70% of MG players are from the Asia region

this makes sense as to the reason why the negative of bad pings and more queue time = large negative impact for the ASIA players.

8. ChooChoo

ChooChoo Head Administrator Staff Member

These days, I am only in COOP if there is some trouble and someone happens to call me in to investigate and resolve it. :)

I do know some of you PR-VS players have been sending me requests for some slight alterations to the map updates I have done.

9. Ben Tinner

Ben Tinner Guest

Just wondering, who is your hosting provider and how much it cost to run each of the servers? I may be able to find a cheaper hosting provider for you guys so that the costs will be reduced.

EDIT: You can also PM me about it if you want.