1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Server cancelations

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by marvel, Nov 8, 2013.

1. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

It regrets me to inform you that we'll have to cancel a couple of servers. As you can see we are running a lot of hardware right now, way more than the amount of players we're serving.

Right now our server bills are skyrocketing to a whopping $1100 each month! (This even excludes hardware investments and license costs). This is such an incredible amount that any community of our size wouldn't be able to keep up with that for a long time which means we'll have to cancel a few servers.

There's not many communities with almost worldwide coverage, I mean it's always been our goal to bring PR to every corner on of the world and we invested a lot of (learning) money to reach that goal but right now we're simply running out of juice.

So first of all and believe me I hate this: we'll have to cancel our Asia server. I know it's one of our most popular servers but it's under DDoS attack almost 12 hours a day or longer and we can't protect it. Asia simply doesn't have the bandwidth and/or services to do so at a for us reasonable price so sadly we'll have to let it go.

DDoS attacks will always be a problem, if the people ddossing us right now decide to give up some day someone else will step in and take over sooner or later. It's just part of how the internet works today. If you host something people like it's not a question if you get ddossed but when and we'll always have to be prepared for that and can never lower our shields.

So for Asian players, US-West will be the server to join. It's ddos protected it has everything you need only your ping will be higher but at least you won't lag out during a ddos attack. We will add another COOP server there once Asia is down so it will have the same player capacity.

Another server that will go is the Villayer server in France. Our main Europe server stays for now until we can find a ddos protected solution in Europe with the same quality and price as in the US.

We know Europe is unplayable right now because of the attacks but we're working on that so for now I would advice all Europe players to join the Chicago -or L.A. server since both have DDoS protection until a suitable replacement has been found.

We will probably start swapping a lot of servers in the next months so stay tuned for updates and like always never rely on your server bookmarks because 5 minutes from now it could all be changed :)

Thanks for your understanding!

2. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

Is the VI server safe for now?

3. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

It sure is :)

No game types will be removed anyway.

4. sk3ith90

sk3ith90 Member

well it's really sad to hear that asia is gone~ because everytime i play in EU or US and even US-WEST~ my ping is around 390 - 4xx~ T_T
    but well you have a good reason to cancel the server~ and i hope asia server will be there again someday~ = .=)b

5. clark009

clark009 Junior Member

i not play l4d2 mgftw asia server more than 2 month,and i see this topic
    i am very very very sadness,because i love asia server,i want join another server but like you say high ping, my wish just one for you marvel, i hope asia server will be back some day.......:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

6. Cocaine

Cocaine Head Administrator

Try to play at US West, maybe it works with your Ping.

7. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

I want an Antarctica server.