1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Remove rep loss/penalize rep for fire

Discussion in 'Suggestions Box' started by slushpuppy, Sep 17, 2017.

1. slushpuppy

slushpuppy New Member

This is starting to occur on a more frequent basis with (low-levelled)players seemingly walk into fire to incap themselves, thus causing the person who started the fire to lose rep points unfairly.

Setting off fire via molo or car explosions can help cover areas where CI/SIs are swarming and these sort of suicidal behavior is a form of griefing that deters legit players from utilizing 1 aspect of the game

I propose we either remove rep loss caused by fire damage, or penalize players who make no effort to walk away from fire within 2-3 seconds

2. XeroX

XeroX Junior Member

You should make sure before using molo or car explosions that noone gets hurt. Don't think it should be removed

Mikazz likes this.
  3. slushpuppy

slushpuppy New Member

Please read my post entirely.. people deliberately walk into the fire

4. Horama

Horama MG Donor

Use the buff high reputation can help you , admin can may be do something for people under level 50 but not going change for all that

5. timkit

timkit MG Donor

My 2 cents on this.

It's simple, rep loss should not be removed for fire damage. If you want to avoid rep loss in the first place, don't be that player starting all the fires near teammates where it is likely to cause friendly fire. It is like trying not to be doing the wrong thing on COOP servers.

Just being careful about where you throw the molotov is something worth doing. Even if you were to accidentally cause slight friendly fire damage once in a while, it is better that than not being aware of your surroundings at all. A good thing to remember with friendly fire damage caused by fires.

Mikazz likes this.
  6. Mute

Mute Head Administrator Staff Member

There is already a system that prevents you from losing rep if someone first entered the fire 1 second after the fire was created. However the system was fairly incomplete, it wasn't taking into consideration people who leave and re-enter the fire, where it'd still penalize the thrower. It'd also penalize incap/kills regardless.

I made some adjustments to the system so the following will happen:
    • If a player starts a fire and someone else takes damage within 1 second of the fire exiting, the thrower will be fully penalized, losing rep for damage and any incap/kill
    • If the person who was in the fire from the start leaves but re-enters it, then the thrower will no longer be penalized, not even for incap/kills
    • If someone enters a fire after a second, the thrower will not be penalized at all, not even for incap/kills
    It's far from perfect, as there isn't really a sane way to determine people who linger in fire by choice or not, but hopefully the system should be a bit more fair. If you are properly careful, there shouldn't be a situation where people just sit in the fire while still punishing you. I am aware of how annoying it is for someone to just run straight into fire when it was avoidable, but I also have to take into consideration people who intentionally grief with fire.

Mikazz and slushpuppy like this.