1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Quick request from low end/low fps users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Back when I was on my potato machine, I found that the adrenaline post process effect murdered my FPS. Even now, I notice a bit of a small drop when playing. So I found what was causing it and managed to suppress the effects such that the frame rate drop is minimal. I just need some testers to see if it works on other machines, and if it does, then I may as well share it to others.

You can download the addon here. Simply put it into Steam\SteamApps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\addons folder.

If it works or not, please leave a reply, thanks.

2. raz

raz Head Administrator Staff Member

Great work Mute, thanks a lot, I'm sure it'll help a lot of people out :)

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Well, my fps was about 40-50, still decreased to 20-30, but it used to decrease to 10-15, so this is good. If I see something else different, I will let you know.
    And thank you for that ;)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Glad to see it helped. What settings do you have in your video options? I've recently found something else, but I'm not sure if it will help too much.

5. Jura

Jura Member

I remember it killing my FPS aswell on my old PC, which is why I hated that buff that gives you one on tank spawn.
    Anyway I tried it out:

1. Test(just looking into an empty room, no infected):
    No Addon - 299 FPS
    W/ Addon - 299 FPS

2. Test(throwing a molo at a group of 50 infected):
    No Addon - 145-180 FPS
    W/ Addon - 150-180 FPS

Settings - Everything on highest setting except for:
    Shaders= Medium
    AA and AF= 2x

It would probably do better on my old PC where the adrenaline kicked me down to 15-20 fps
    Anyway it does help a little bit :)

EDIT: Didn't even notice the title :P

6. Guest

Guest Guest

It's all set to medium, anti-aliasing: none; anisotropic 16x; double buffered and multicore enable.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Heh, considering I didn't change the fire particles (at least I don't remember doing it lol) I'm surprised it made a difference. Though that is one thing I might have a look at as well.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Hmm, depending on your specs, it's either the anisotropic 16x or the medium effect detail that might be further reducing your framerate. One thing I've noticed is that the mass of ragdolls and decals can have an effect as well, which is why I've bound some keys to kill the ragdolls and decals:

bind "HOME" "cl_destroy_ragdolls"
    bind "END" "r_cleardecals"

Try these out when you notice stuff beginning to lag, and see if you can notice anything.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you Mute, I will try it. The FPS won't increase much since I play on the laptop, but the adrenaline effect without lag is already awesome. I used to hate the "speedy water" and "tank adrenaline" buffs as well, because of the damn lag it used to give me :P

10. fnord

fnord Game Server Moderator Staff Member

I have a decent PC and still put all the settings on low or off (such as AA, vsync). I think the high graphics add distraction to the game. Another awesome thing to do is to download different skins for the SI. I use the bright red skins so they stick out.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I just uploaded this to the Steam Workshop, so if you are using this, I recommend subscribing there if you can, as any potential future updates (though unlikely) will be made there.

12. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Great addon! Small, but great :)