1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Problem running L4D2 on window 7 (NEED HELP)

Discussion in 'Server Questions / Issues' started by e36, Aug 18, 2012.

1. e36

e36 MG Donor

Need help please.

I been play l4d2 on a window7 32 bit and decide to give 64 bit a try. Steam start up with no problem, but when I start l4d2 i get a black screen and total crash. Even control alt delete won't work. It is a complete crash that requires a reboot.

System

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
    9800 gt
    Amd 6 core
    4g ram
    back ground app:
    avast
    keyscrambler
    private firewall
    process blocker
    Nvida control panel

Thanks in advance:D

2. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

3. WeeJocky

WeeJocky Game Server Moderator

There's the standard checks, like verifying the game's cache in steam and updating your graphics drivers.

I haven't actually updated Windows versions on a single machine; did you have to do a clean install of Steam and L4D2 ater installing 64bit? (I would guess you're forced to but I'm not sure and if not you should)

4. e36

e36 MG Donor

I found my firewall was a problem and have replaced it with a different firewall. Now l4d2 will get to the loading screen, but then it crash big time requiring a reset button.

It is a clean 64 bit OS install into a multi boot desktop, with steam being a clean reinstall over the steam directory. The l4d2 was not reinstall. I think I have updated video driver, but I check on that too. Also I did a defreg on cache. l4d2 still work on my 32 bit OS.

5. Have you tried right-clicking L4D in your Steam library and verify the integrity and defrag the cache files?

6. WeeJocky

WeeJocky Game Server Moderator

If you didn't reinstall L4D2 it would probably be a good idea to do so; otherwise it won't have installed the necessary registry components in the 64bit directories. Although if steam is clever it might have done so already; can you remember the first time you tried launching L4D2 on 64bit, did it do the "first time running" installs, ie installing dx components?)

You might be able to do a reinstall without having to download everything again too (if your connection is slow or limited); just make a backup of the L4D2 directory, delete local content of it in steam, then start re-downloading it, pause and copy over the backup into the new directory and check the game's cache in steam, you should then be able to try launching again and it will (hopefully) perform first time installations.

[again this is not something I have tried myself but it should work]

7. Sheila

Sheila MG Donor

I've had the same kind of problems but my game crashes so randomly after pressing tab, i've done the integrity and nothing changed the crashes so currently im uninstalling and reinstalling :|

8. Sheila

Sheila MG Donor

Reinstalling works to solve the random in-game crashes (tested in coop not vs yet, fingers crossed) but the only thing that crashes me still is the adverts D:

9. Sycorax

Sycorax Member

Read this post for a solution to the ad crashes.

10. Sheila

Sheila MG Donor

I don't mind the ad crashes, my game still crashes when i seem to press tab/shift+tab to open chats up.. :|

11. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

What are your system specs and background software (e.g. antivirus)?

12. avilroad

avilroad MG Donor

lol just today I've got the same problem ;\
    Go to your game library>>right click on left4dead>>properties>>local files>>verify integrity of game cache
    Worked for me

13. e36

e36 MG Donor

Thanks, but i try that, don't work :(

Thanks for all the help all, I give up on 64bit for now.

14. avilroad

avilroad MG Donor

Ye its kinda weird.I still get random crashes, but less for sure.Someone suggested to upgrade flash player,Idk didnt try,too lazy ;p

15. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Initially, I thought the issue was because of PR 1.3's GUI panel. However, people have informed that it's a runtime error that they are getting. The runtime error is, as you know, Microsoft C++ related.

The issue therefore lies within the source engine itself. Valve is to blame for this, so you should sit tight until they release a patch for this error which is affecting most of their player base - including CSS.

16. TJ

TJ MG Donor

I changed the button to check score from Tab to CapsLock and it crashed when I hit Caps. So I don't think it's a problem with Tab. I think it's a problem with checking the score (for your particular situation I mean).

17. Sheila

Sheila MG Donor

Uh huh.

18. jtork

jtork Senior Member

with win7 make sure all drivers, updates are updated ... no problrm for me ..course i still prefer my other machine running on xp playing l4d2

19. Sheila

Sheila MG Donor

I fixed my crashing problem by disabling steam avatars on your friends list..

20. TJ

TJ MG Donor

I played with them disabled, no crashing.. Then yesterday I tested it with them enabled and I still didn't crash. I think they did a fix/update.