1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Points Reloaded 1.3 improvement thread.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by marvel, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJ

TJ MG Donor

Well I only directed my concerns to you because it's your mod. Even though you quit l4d2 as soon as you released it. How convenient (though I understand you had legit reasons.. good luck in college btw). Anyway, regarding Magic, I don't understand why it's even in these servers. This is L4D2; why is there magic?? It's like you are copying other games and putting them all in this one l4d2 mod. The changes you've made to PR is equivalent to me modding Super Mario Bros and mixing Legend of Zelda, Doom, Megaman, and Street Fighter in it (actually that sounds pretty cool lol). Anyway, the gripes I have with the magic is that even though it's a small radius of the map, it's really hard to ignore. And since you cant ignore it, you're forced to have the lag that comes with it and the "black screen of death" aka Dark Fog. I just don't understand why after months of people posting on the forums their suggestions and PR bugs, we get a new update that doesn't fix any of the bugs and adds things that NOBODY asked for. Seriously, find me ONE person that ever played l4d2 and said "hmm, it would be so cool if I could drive cars in this game". Luke, I really apologize for the tone of my posts, but I really am disappointed and upset. Although, I must say, I really admire your receptiveness to the criticism.

2. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

I am happy there is so much new stuff in 1.3. Luke(and company) obviously spent alot of time developing new stuff. I agree that not all of it works perfectly.
    BUT
    as Marvel stated:
    So give constructive feedback and get it tuned to what we want.
    Don't just bash the whole thing saying it is going to ruin the game.

Reading about the TrueSkill aspect I don't think it is the right fit for this gameplay.(I could be wrong)
    It reads like it is best suited to develop a Trueskill for matchmaking when finding a player to fight against. We don't have a pool of players to match up against. Those who join are it, but again, I could be wrong and it might develop into data that works.

3. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

It's all there for testing anyway. Just have the current devs get rid of magic altogether. Easy fix ;) There are maybe a handful of programming modders still coding for this game. I can count with one hand how many there are. Most of the world (incl myself) has moved on, and l4d2 is an aging game. We're still adding new content to the game regardless. Perhaps magic should cost more bounty (maybe eight) so people don't spam it. Personally, I found magic entertaining, especially some of the new quests that require builder and mage. It adds more of an rpg feel with the character classes. You have to admit, however, that after reaching a high level, the game gets boring fast. Microsoft's trueskill system simply gives players another thing to work for on the side, another thing to do.

4. jtork

jtork Senior Member

Agree with TJ above post(s) ...

the magic is just way too much for l4d2 and for new players joining this server, if they can't survive pre-1.3, they def won't make it with 1.3 LOL ...

I do like the idea of controlling witches (havent so far, havent reach the proper TS skill lvl i think?)

The TS - sux !!! most of the time I get stuck on team with rushers and ends up getting whole team killed, TS goes down regardless how well I do or how much you help others ... etc .... TS down should be reduce only to rushers who hurt team not overall team

New Virus - terrible - twice have I gotten this and mutation and lasted a total of like 3 to five minutes both times team just left me ... although switching to Medic and healing myself cuts down the time to 15 seconds or so after reading Wiki ...

Magic - it's more funny to use them than useful i think ... I really don't like it, but if you must have it, then 1 server should be fine (maybe players just need more time to digest this)... maybe Asia? lol

Thief - how do i use this? can't wait to rob Erik ...

5. Lord

Lord MG Donor

This might be off topic, but could you make a quest so we can get a revert stone? I spent over 50k cash maxing out a skill and it's
    completely worthless. I need my cash back so I can buy the new TS skills. And I can't buy one from the store, because Paypal doesn't accept my debit card for whatever reason.

6. enjoie70

enjoie70 Junior Member

First off, thanks for the effort. There's no doubt you put in a good amount of work trying to spice up the game, but unfortunately the end result just doesn't work for VS. It's way too overpowering and really a different game altogether. People still play l4d b/c the game just works for MP. Trying to totally overhaul it is obviously very risky and will almost always fail.

The low bounty price of bile all was bad enough before and now people are spamming distort and dark cloud which makes it next to impossible to even play. The regs have been complaining for months that the bile shower all was too low. Now, you can't see, you can't hear, and distort is very distorting! I can only laugh when imagining a new player joining the server only to get mutated, and then hit with a distort/dark cloud combo. That's gonna be close to an instant rage. I had to rage last night b/c it was just too much. Not fun to play in that.

It's possible there's a place for magic in this game, but definitely not on the front lines. Maybe only the tanks could cast spells at a higher price. Maybe 1 spell per map, IDK.

7. enjoie70

enjoie70 Junior Member

Might? Ya dude, quests have nothing to do with 1.3

8. Lord

Lord MG Donor

Well, I'm just saying, because I need that revert stone bad >.<

9. Lord

Lord MG Donor

Really bad.....

10. lukemurawski

Ah, I see. Let's try increasing the required bounty for magic to 10 and re-test. If it is still unbalanced, then we can simply get rid of it. As for TS, I can see why some of you are concerned, but the algorithm is unmodified and applicable. Magic, rushing, steaks or whatever, in the end it is the teamwork that dictates which team won. I did not design the algorithm.

11. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

TrueSkill seems like it was designed for a LARGE player pool, and for matchmaking with systems like the Xbox. We don't have a very large player pool. Could that be causing undesired results?

12. jtork

jtork Senior Member

are magic useable by sur ? 'cause I was buying distort and dark fog as sur LOL

13. lukemurawski

It's possible, but I don't see how though.
    Yes w/ the exception of blood forge. And infected can't use frost forge.

I'm sorry I suddenly retired. I wish I could have spent more time perfecting the mod before release, but ppl got impatient and I ran out of time and personal problems arose, causing me to leave it as it is now. Any future requests, direct them to the other devs please. Thanks!

14. Its not about bounty its about magic reload time ,increase time for dark fog and disort from 100 to 220-300 and increase bounty for si to 10 and keep bounty for survivors as it is.(2 bounty)

15. Steph

Steph Game Server Moderator

I like the magic overall, especially as SI (I might be the only one lol). But I agree that its favors SI more then a Survivor. I don't mind an increase of bounty for it to be used, but I hope it's not removed, it's useful when you're a tank and have no team backup support.

Also, the Force Flashlight off when near a Survivor needs to be fixed. Survivors who have bought it forces it off on their own team lol. I have tried it on coop and vs, it's rather annoying. Should be for Infected vs only.

16. lukemurawski

I found some time today and slowed down magic regeneration by 4x and increased bounty requirement for SI to 10. Please test and let me know how balanced it is now.

17. kuko

kuko MG Donor

1) I think the bots in coop 1.3 needs to be fixed...

*If you join alone and pass one map, the next map all of them dissapears and you are the only one survivor ingame, you only have your knifes as teammates lol.

*In case someone join, they all are spawned again, and drops a lot of items and add some extra lag unnecesary (Kits, pills, also weapons).

*Sometimes a bot get stuck, he didnt move, didnt teleport, and hold up the campaign as long as he dies, but the problem is, the bot takes too long to die because there are people that take advantage from that and stay spamming molos helping him.

2) Special infected does you like no damage once you are incapped, specially hunters. Spitter goo takes a while to damage you and sometimes you walk thru the spit and didnt even hurt you, a level 1 guy in vs does more damage.
    New Special Tanks auto-die if they are spawned alone, is like a fail spawn because music starts and we only see the pr message: tank killed, but if there are at least one tank alive arround they can spawn.

Thats all for now i think..

18. JavCube

JavCube MG Donor

My impressions.

- I got some kinf of massive lag playing on PR 1.3 servers. I'm from south america ut i got better ping on EU and it'smore playable there.
    - The menu dissapears after selecting random option (using !buy, !cp, !qt the the guild one) which makes difficult when i'm buying something.

So far that's what I got, but these are reasons I'll stop playing on PR 1.3, because I can't play it the way i used on the old PR. (to make it clear it's the playablility, not the skill and other stuff because I could not even enter the !cp trueskill option )

19. jtork

jtork Senior Member

i want a regen bar to see how much time before we can use magic again

20. Chocobo

Chocobo <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

I'm still trying to figure out how to use magic in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.