1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Object Damage

Discussion in 'Game Server Ideas' started by Angel, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Angel

Angel MG Donor

I was requested by a friend to make this thread, so here we go.
    We all know how much we miss the Unstoppable skill tree which removed any kind of object damage, and we all know by now how it feels to get cornered and get crushed by an object in 1 hit.

So, my suggestion is that there should be a skill/upgrade (no more new buffs please) which at least helps REDUCE damage from objects. Let's say these skill levels range from 1-8, starting with 10% reduced damage from objects. Each level would decrease it by another 10% so the max reduced damage would be 80%. I think it sounds pretty reasonable, but then there's another issue, how could we balance it out even further?
    An object is pretty much the safest shot to take down any survivor, no matter the level and having a workaround for it may anger some - but that's pretty much what Unstoppable used to do. I'd say make it an expensive skill/upgrade, so we got that one covered at least.

Opinions and other suggestions regarding this are welcome!

2. Abstract

Abstract MG Donor

im must tottaly agree with angel here its good to give inf a chance but thats too much with all that spit and common infectet we cant avoid that so you make all lvl 215 tanks 100% immune to melee so we have the most time a magnum and ci chasing us and we cant move to any direction we cant bile tanks to let the zombies go to another spot and you have time to run around and avoid it the next thing is that i have the buff guardian moustachio and every time i get a hit by car or forklift my moustachio is fucked for the round im think thats not what you mean as you make the buff i find it ok when the obj incapped us instant but when we down i think no more damage from cars or other objects will be another way to fix that

3. tank

tank MG Donor

Maybe just bring old skill back idk same for me, should ask HC for that, but why make expensive for pay old skill back i already have it maxed :],for me cars is not a big problem on server, its more problem when 6-7 survivors fight 3 tank on once, but i understand that car damage make some people irritable. Also when u died today PRVS crawling and killed by dumpster ,u was hit by 3 tank together and me charger scraching u with claws:) so i any case dumpster or not you was losing your HP very fast, need 4-5 hits by tank to kill u,only this time was 3 tank together + charger :[ so you die fast anyway ,only not in case if you have bounty for buy full health.
    But if u make some vote pool u get my vote ;]

4. Angel

Angel MG Donor

I said it should be expensive so that not everyone jumps on the bandwagon to receive less damage from those objects like everyone did when we had Unstoppable.. It has to be fair in some kind of way. And haha, I didn't even notice how I died because I was typing in a chat during that game, I really don't have an opinion about my death and like I said, I made this thread on behalf of a friend because his English is slightly limited.

And please people.. Don't just click like/disagree without posting your opinions, a like/disagree doesn't tell anything about what's good or what's bad.

5. sk3ith90

sk3ith90 Member

hmmm~ i kinda agree with you guys should do something about those object dmg~ + we have exploding car now~ tanks hitting car and explode its like double dmg on surv's~ + spit + smoker + CI's~ and for some maps there's more than 2 objects flying~
    well the dmg need to be reduced or as angel said~ :)
    thats my opinion about this one :)

6. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

I have to agree here. I'm not entirely sure why the Unstoppable skill was removed but maybe it can be added back just at a reduced effectiveness.

7. Tom1993

Tom1993 Head Administrator Staff Member

I have to agree with this aswell, I'm also eager to know why the unstoppable skill was removed, I never even asked about it until now. For the last days I haven't played very much on VS but it's very easy for the tanks to take out the survivors with cars. Maybe reduce the damage from objects, even a decrease of 50% would be fine. Do also remember that most of us bought the unstoppable skill and it was pretty expensive if I remember correctly, nobody got any refunds from it. This is what I have on my mind right now.

8. Ben [?ØP]

Ben [?ØP] Guest

I do agree with what Angel mentioned, as in VS servers, the car damage is just too high, which means that 2 hits= dead for survivors. In some cases, some players can buy tanks easily at the very beginning of the map, and if there are cars near, the game can end fast. If there are players who are lucky enough that are not killed by the car, I guess, for most of the situations, what they can only do is to rush, so, maybe at least 4-5 hits = dead is more reasonable, since survivors will sometimes get stuck under the car, and they can't even move, therefore, I do agree that the car damage is needed to be adjusted.

9. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

Part of me really doesn't see what the problem is - in vanilla L4D2 a tank can roll over a team in seconds with a well-played car (I have fond memories of wiping in Dead Centre map 2 with the car before the dumpster), and they're very much a massive part of the way it's played.

For me the difference is in vanilla, a tank can get rolled over pretty quickly if it doesn't play a car effectively, meaning they become more of a strategic idea, and a bit of a gamble. In PR-VS servers, a tank has a longer life in which to make use of the car, and it becomes a higher consideration against high-level survivors.

I agree that right now it's too high, but I don't think a potential 80% reduction is a good idea, we still want them to be a viable option for infected.

Personally I'd say keep the potential for insta-incaps, but knock it down enough that survivor players have the chance to self-revive. Cars are a hilarious weapon in L4D2, I'd hate to lose them!

10. Abstract

Abstract MG Donor

so we come to my point Adward what is when they can insta incap the survivors but after the incap you dont take damage from any objective when you go up you can get again incap by cars so you have a chance to dont die in 15 seconds and the survivrs have not a walk in a park and must try to avoid cars

11. treefifty

treefifty MG Donor

We have come to a point where there needs to be a compromise. Survivors have lost unstoppable and explosion resistance (proper name?). Tanks have lost really good regeneration so they can die rather quickly in a safe room with a few good survivors. The cars and dumpsters were probably to bring the tank back up to par but not the way I think it should have been done (personal opinion). If cars, dumpsters and explosions are going to affect the survivors like this, what is going to be done to even the game out for the survivors? As Angel stated, no more buffs please. I have way more buffs than slots and another buff will just exacerbate the problem. This could be an incomplete though as I am sick but please post more suggestions.

12. HonorCode

HonorCode Head Administrator Staff Member

Unstoppable has always been a problem for me. As you guys may remember, unstoppable used to have 3 level: block fire damage, block fall damage, block preassure damage.

-Fire damage block issues: In coop this triggered a huge farming contest where everyone would just throw molotovs the entire round in all directions until they got to the saferoom. This was a huge problem as it took all the fun of coop away.

-Fall damage block issue: It allowed people to glitch several map locations and also made some game elements (bitch slap) useless.

-Preassure damage block issue: It was unrealistic to see a survivor go unharmed after being hit by a giant car. This also made tanks extremely weak and regeneration (the way it was before) was implemented to help this.

But, I think I could bring it back under the following conditions:

-The damage will blocked only when incapped
    -The running speed upgrade will have to be nerfed (5% atleast).

13. Abstract

Abstract MG Donor

hc you mean when we have this skill we lost 5% movement speed ? sounds good and yeah what i type before cars incap you is ok and when you down dont take damage from a car when you picked up you can incaped again sounds like a fair way and that brings survivors to play together then when you hit by a car you have many times 400 hp incapped left and thats 1 or 2 tank hits so this increase the teamplay maybe

14. HonorCode

HonorCode Head Administrator Staff Member

Yeah exactly having unstoppable will have to reduce your speed in a 5%. This is to avoid rushing.

15. tank

tank MG Donor

Hei man :]
    Thx for explaining issue with unnstoppable skill i didn't know about that.
    I totally agree with u,i hate farmers 'n' glitchers too.
    But i have suggestion easy s thing to do , to increase little survivor health when you got incap,
    that can give you some time and chance the heal closest guy with pills plus avoid the car kill u.
    And here we talk also about skill n speed the do make get up which is one part of the game.
    Since now when u got incap can't move when hunter is not problem for abusing..
    and d'not bring back that skill back due you explain over.

-The damage will blocked only when incapped
    -The running speed upgrade will have to be nerfed (5% atleast).
    I still agree that if i was tank hitting u with a car i should kill you very fast, idk just my opinion or we make baby game.
    The point is today 3 tanks (lvl215) together against 8 survivors are most OP for me in game idk for you guys,
    5 in finales.5vs8
    I think you shouldn't change all that funny stuff just reduce maybe at 2 tanks fight together max on once.

16. Angel

Angel MG Donor

You really can't compare vanilla versus to PR versus, you have to take a few things into account:
    - There can be a number of MAX 2 tanks on vanilla versus, both spawned by the AI if you're really lucky
    - Only 4 SI
    - Less commons
    - No pathing, more open areas
    - Bile jars to lure the commons to attack the tank instead

So what do all of these things mean? All the infected on PR are stronger, faster and deadlier and they come in high numbers. There are very few ways to attract attention to something else to give yourself a chance to flee. The conclusion is - it's a LOT easier to avoid being killed by an object on vanilla and it's too easy to get killed by one on PR. SI keep the survivors back longer for the tanks, the tanks rush in with the objects.