1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

(my internet) Possible serious network issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom1993, Sep 14, 2014.

1. dT_Tb

dT_Tb Member

I would suggest a set of powerline adapter.

2. tank

tank MG Donor

If you will upgrading new nettwork card give a try a AC network,cos anyway will use cash so upgrade for future,price is not biggger comparing standard N network 2,4 ghz against AC network 5 ghz, even if you have maybe old router maybe does not support AC still can run greatly until not invest in new router,best thing is that in future buy AC router connecting on your provider router and using provider router use only as modem (internett acsses, wirless off).Than you will have whole contorl over your local network and wifi network and would be much stable.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-T4U-Wireless-One-Button/dp/B00JBJ6VG8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-NWD6605-Wireless-AC1200-Adapter/dp/B00D9EZSO2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320173
    [​IMG]

3. Tom1993

Tom1993 Head Administrator Staff Member

So, now I've confirmed 2 things.

Number 1: Problem still exists
    Number 2: Doesn't matter which server I play on, I get a connection problem and that causes my router to lose connection to the internet.

Also, whenever I play l4d2 my console gets overflowed with messages like this:
    NET_GetLong: Ignoring duplicated split packet 1 of 2 ( 1390 bytes ) from 178.33.138.11:27016

I have no idea why I keep getting it, could it have something to do with my problem?
    I'm running out of ideas here, sooner or later I will have to contact my ISP and arrange us a new router.

Some other things to add: Speedtest.net used to give me a download speed of 15mbps, and now it's roughly around 5-7mbps. I'm smelling problems with my router here.

4. fnord

fnord Game Server Moderator Staff Member

If you can reset your router and it fixes the problem, that is the #1 sign you need a new one!

5. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Did you try other L4D2 servers besides us?

6. Tom1993

Yea I tried 2 other community servers, and also a vanilla lobby. The same message always pops up in console.
    Sometimes, I can play for over an hour without any problems, and sometimes it happens as soon as I join a server :(
    I recently went back to windows 7 and formatted my hard drive, everything was newly reinstalled. Everything worked super smoothly on monday, so I thought it was fixed, but obviously I was wrong.

7. Tom1993

Message in console is gone now, however I only played for 15 mins. Everything worked nicely, then just suddenly I got a connection problem like always and connection between my router and gateway went down.

8. The Munsters

The Munsters MG Donor

could be interference from a neighbour's router.

some router firmwares provide with a a wifi signal graph to determine all transmissions. Try to play with different channels and switch from 40Mhz to 20Mhz bandwidth

To isolate the issue do a test on router itself for like trace route and ping.

then do a test between the router and your pc

9. erik

erik MG Donor

10. Tom1993

Router firmware update requested, now I can only wait for it as we have a home entertainment which needs to be updated by our ISP. Hoping it to fix the issue because our ISP checked some things and they said our router should be fine.

Also deleted over 50 people from my friends list, I doubt that is the reason for my crashes though. Just about the time to remove some random people I've never even talked with.

11. erik

erik MG Donor

You never know. Honestly, I was told to do that last year and for a while, it totally fixed certain unmentioned problems. (Stuff not necessary to go into here.)

Also, Steam has a history of covering up it's vulnerabilities. My account was hijacked a while ago and they had to terminate it (still never told me why) and transfer my purchased games to this one I've had for 3 years. I suspect it's because they counld't retrieve it. You'll find by basic Googling that it's actually commonplace to have your Steam totally hijacked while you're afk in Snooze status... they just do a good job of hiding that it's a common occurrence.

The point is that it never hurts to be cautious with Steam. Good for you, I need to clean up my list also, and badly at that.

Let us know what ends up being the solution(s) for this..

12. tank

tank MG Donor

ZOMG
    What is name of router, how you connecting to router, do you use accsses point????What is name of network card you use???
    Do you use usb wifi dongle card??Can be fail between isp router and your network card.Or your network card fail itself.best is use router only cable,and use other router for wirless and same company network card.Here we talking probably you have hardware problem, remember some company give ceap routers with no good wirless support, i still get tired with my Cisco router and is like "good " company, its not a hacking ...(aru some VIP)

13. erik

erik MG Donor

knows his shit, has helped me before

14. tank

tank MG Donor

Me to erik i know some shit to i work with dat since 1997. I just try to help him to not waste time.When he formatted pc and put new windows even if he had some trojan is gone.Its a hardware problem, just dat i wanna say....or i dont care... i go play l4d ...

15. tank

tank MG Donor

zomg erik nobody said he dont know his shit,ofc he know, everybody know something, and here we are sharing something we know.

16. erik

erik MG Donor

You totally misunderstood what I said.

I was saying you have helped me before, and you know your stuff.

It was a nice post; it was a post in support of you.

17. tank

tank MG Donor

erik my apologies to you and sorry for my noob english
    [​IMG]

18. erik

erik MG Donor

You're fine, no noob, I have misunderstood (then posted) many, many times on this forum.

I'm just happy there is no misunderstanding. :) Peace

19. Tom1993

3 days without any problems so far, looking good for now on.

20. Tom1993

Time for a bump, I find it totally impossible to play l4d2 now. I have tried other games and they work fine without any problems at all (cs:go for example). Even works fine after the router has crashed and been restarted.

Sometimes I'm able to play for 3 hours and sometimes it doesn't even take 10 minutes and our router goes down disconnecting our entire home from the internet. According to our ISP, there is nothing wrong with the router, and I find it really weird because it only happens with one particular game.
    I'm getting really tired of this, I'd like to play but this shit is just 100% preventing me from doing so :(

When I log into the router and check connectivity, it says there is no connection to the gateway (our ISP). Am I really getting Ddossed or what is going on?

Everything worked just fine 2 weeks ago before the weekend began, I've tried several things already but nothing seems to fix it.