1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

(my internet) Possible serious network issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom1993, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Tom1993

Tom1993 Head Administrator Staff Member

So, in the last days I've dealt with a lot of issues with my net/router and I'm really getting frustrated.

This is basically what happens:
    I play a while on one of the servers, and suddenly I just lose connection. Mostly this happens during a Ddos attack or lag.
    Today, the very same thing happened. I was able to send messages through steam but not a single webpage could be opened.

I have to restart my router every time, and sometimes, not even that works or it takes a really long time to get the connection back.

Reason why I went public with this is because any help is highly appreciated. I'm really starting to suspect that there is something wrong with my router or net itself.

2. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Had the exact same problem before.

Changing DNS servers helped for me.

Try OpenDNS or Google DNS

The messages work because steam uses ip-adresses to connect.

3. Tom1993

Did I do it right? I went to control panel, opened network settings -> WLAN connection, properties, IPv4 and just changed the DNS there

4. Stefeman

yeah, thats correct :P

5. Tom1993

Sadly, the same thing just continues. It always occurs when I'm playing on a server, and this time everything worked fine. No lag, nothing.. just a normal vs game. My suspicions about the router are increasing.

I can play for an hour or so, and then bang - it happens again. This all started on Friday, I've had a similiar problem before but never experienced it this often within just a few hours.

I have restarted my router 4 times today so far, this is really starting to get on my nerves.

6. Stefeman

what type of connection do you have?

ADSL, DSL, VDSL, Cable, Fiber or mobile (3g, LTE)?

7. Tom1993

Should be DSL, also here's something else I noticed: Speedtest only gives me a download speed of 5mbps, whereas my normal speed should be approximately 15mbps. What is going on?

8. Stefeman

open cmd:

type "ipconfig"

paste the "defaultgateway" which should be 192.xxx.xxx.xxx to your web browser and login your router.

examples of most common default gateways:

(If you cannot connect the default gateway listed in "ipconfig" or if it's blank (line missing), it means you have bridged IP mode enabled and you have disabled NAT all together.

If you can't login tell me your ISP and the router name so i can look up for password

If you can login, head over to somewhere where you can find the following info:

noise margin upstream:
    noise margin downstream:
    attenuation upstream:
    attenuation downstream:

post the above DSL/ADSL info here so i can figure out if theres something wrong with the values.

9. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

My ISP always asks me to plug directly into the modem to determine if it's their service that is acting up or if it's something on my end. Every time it has been on the ISP end, and they either fixed it at a terminal box or came to our house to tweak our connection. Maybe give that a try (plug directly in your modem) and see if it is your ISP or maybe the router is malfunctioning.

10. Tom1993

I found something like this:

[TABLE="class: datatable, width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 170"]Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:[/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 3"]1.023 / 18.769[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 4"][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 170"]Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:[/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 3"]73,21 / 835,78[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 170"]Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:[/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 3"]1,0 / 18,4[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 170"]Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:[/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 3"]15,8 / 18,5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 170"]SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:[/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 3"]9,9 / 8,0[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

11. Stefeman

Above values are fine enough, and should not cause any issues with your line.

As long as the SN margin (Noise margin) for both up and down is at least above 7 (8 or more to be sure), the line will not go dead. Your Attenuation is far better than i have, so that's not the issue either.

There's something else affecting your internet then.

12. Tom1993

It only happens whenever I play on one of the servers, now I haven't played for over an hour and everything is fine.

What the hell is going on here? Am I getting attacked or something whenever I play, and that causes my net to disconnect.
    And whenever it happens, my router gives a red cross at Connectivity to gateway (ip-address here). Meaning no connection to internet.

13. Stefeman

In case you really get dossed down (unlikely though), you could try "mgftw VPN" and see if it gets better.

pm marvel for details about that since this is a public section =)

14. Cobra119

Cobra119 Junior Member

what kind of firmware are u using?Openwrt or factory firmware?Maybe thats cousing it

15. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

Do you use an IP blocker list/program like PeerBlock or lists from iBlockLists? I have to turn PeerBlock off because the network that MG uses for CA and EU are on one of my P2P lists.

16. Tom1993

Took the liberty to re-install my whole OS and format my HDD. Backuped all my important stuff and went back to windows 7 :D

80 minutes of gaming today, super smooth no problems at all. Somehow it starts to turn out as if there was actually something wrong with my win 8 lol, which kind of was the least of what I could've thought of.

Thank you all for helping me out with this, for now on it seems fixed.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Are you on wifi? I sometimes have issues with wifi on my laptop, and the same thing on my older laptop as well, on the same OS. I'm starting to think win 8 messed something up with the wifi.

18. Tom1993

Yeap, wifi is my only option, as the router is downstairs. My wifi adapter doesn't officially even support win 8 nor 7 I guess, everything worked out fine at the beginning but the latest weeks have been a complete disaster.
    Something messed up my pc, hopefully everything gets better now.

19. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Ever considered something like this?

I bought one for my sis, works perfect. Idk what it does for long ranges though but if you only have to get like 20 mbps you should be fine.

http://www.newegg.com/global/nl/Pro...33181294&cm_re=pla5205-_-33-181-294-_-Product

20. Tom1993

My router operates at 130mbps, I'm currently using wlan as wired isn't possible.

With the current usb wlan adapter I only get 52mbps at most (averages at 30mbps nowdays), in the past I used to get a little more though.

This is my current: http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/adapters/dwa-160-xtreme-n-dual-band-usb-adapter

And this is the one I ordered yesterday to replace it:
    http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBN14/

2x 5dBi high-gain antennas and a max range of 150 meters, with common sense my signal should be improved.