1. Click here to join our community discord server.

|MG| Tank Battle Arena [download]

Discussion in '[L4D2] Points Reloaded' started by CrazyRabbit, Sep 9, 2012.

1. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

Can we get this up on the server sometime this weekend please, I think it finally deserves a crack with 16 players.

2. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

I wish but everything is still a mess. I still have to fix the backup and a a lot of other stuff. I lost the entire afternoon already to pickup my motorcycle and I gtg again tonight (soon) so I'm not gonna have the time to setup an event server right now :(

I'll do it asap I promise, if not today or tomorrow then Monday :)

3. erik

erik MG Donor

zomg zomg a poster like the regular campaigns - exciting stuff here

4. erik

erik MG Donor

lol! He wrecked it b/c he was doing wheelies over other cars.

5. zipper17

zipper17 Senior Member

about max player it only 16 players, compared to the hundred-thousand players of mgftw , i think will be hard to get slot thought

6. CrazyRabbit

Not much of a problem, it only has 30 downloads so far. Those that have it already will be able to join the server right away, while others will have to download and install it first.

7. CrazyRabbit

Once I add a rescue vehicle I'll be putting it on L4Dmaps.com where it will actually get played and probably appreciated more than it ever did here.

I pushed and asked many times for almost 2 months and it was never given a chance to be played by everyone (server was never turned on and I do acknowledge there were issues during this time, but I when the servers were fine again still nothing happened), so I'm done trying. Only 3 of us actually got a proper chance to try it, but in the end the tanks were just too strong for 3 people. If we had 16 people, it would have been the battle of the year.

Thanks to those that actually downloaded it, but it's time now to give the rest of the L4D community a chance to enjoy it.

8. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Hold your merry horses. Marvel hasn't had the time to work on this himself, so, guess what? I'll be taking over.

I had a test run of this with a few other players today and to my disappointment it turned out to be glitchy. The sky box and the loading screen had their texture missing. Also the timer does not start counting down at all. I assumed it should start automatically when you left the small alcove but lo-behold even that failed to start the timer. I then thought I had the wrong version of the map (mine was v2, while the one on the forums said v1.7) which led me to uninstall the map from the server and upload the 1.7 version. The map failed to load at all. I request a button to activate the timer. I also request that you obtain a file of all the stripper dumps so that us coders can arrange for tanks to get harder.

I can't just dish out the bad points without giving you some good points. I especially liked the building of defenses, that was a unique touch. I haven't seen anything like it. I liked the way that the zombies came out of the tunnels. I liked the panel of technology - it gives an air of military derision like the survivors are asking for packages from an air force. Never seen anything like that either.

Just please, fix the bad points and we can get down to hosting it on HD.

9. CrazyRabbit

This is a low shader issue, I will need to include the skybox in the next version for people running low shader settings. To fix in the meantime, increase shader settings to Medium or High. If you ran survival, you won't get a loading screen. Run it as a campaign map. I'll double check the text files and make sure it's all linked up correctly.

This is not a survival map. In survival, you decide when the map starts. So to make it more difficult, you get 2 minutes to research and build things before the infected come. After 3 minutes or so, the first tank will arrive. If I allowed a button to start a survival mode, you could build all defenses and research all guns/items, taking out the aspect of the team fighting while trying to get better stuff and building things to defend themselves.

You had me stumped here until I checked my version of the addon and attempted to package it again. The naming of the file when you download it will say mgftw_tba_v1.7z (the .7z is the extension for 7zip files). The version you are actually downloading is version 1.0 as shown in the original post, not v1.7. The v2 version was the old copy so you are right to download the new one, maybe just check it was unpackaged into the addons folder using winzip/winrar or 7zip.

Again, check it's unpacked. What sort of server were you on? We tested it on HD server previously and it worked fine. Make sure to start it as a Campaign map.

Because I want the map to finish, we need to make it a coop finale map for the rescue vehicle to come. In helms deep, you stand near Gandalf and the map finishes, you don't get on a vehicle so it's different to how I want to do it.

No idea what this is. If there is some code I can put inside the map, I'd prefer to do that. I think LuKe's HammerCode with a script will do this.

Awesome, thanks for that. It's a boost of confidence to help me move to the next version of the map. I guess my main reason for my previous post was that it took 1 month to make it, but then I'm sitting around waiting for people to play it for 2 months with no feedback on what I need to do next.

I do know the servers were getting hassled, but then they were back up and the news panel even mentioned players would get rewarded with mini events and a run on the Tank Arena. It didn't happen, so I got slightly annoyed.

Perhaps we can try it again now you know that the issues aren't as big as you first thought?

10. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Wow, sorry, I assumed it was a survival map so I set the server to survival. I also assumed that we needed a survival timer so more confusion on my part there. Yeah, scrap the idea of a button your idea makes much more sense. Next time I will leave the server on as coop.

Ah yes, now it makes sense. I was on Luke's test server. The stripper_dumps are basically something like this which provide coders a chance to look into what's going on in a map. We can remove specific entities by classname or hammerid. We can also fire inputs/outputs onto it to make an entity such as trigger_finale start the finale. For this map, we can arrange for tanks to increase in health/size/speed as time wears on.

I understand your frustration, 2 months is a long time, which is why I'm here to get this map up and running. A month's work of graft and no response will kill any person's enthusiasm.

I will upload the map to Luke's Test server and I will test it on there with a minimum of 4 players (the reason for this is that the new version of PR may fail to work with it and it just so happens that we're pushing to get the new version out as soon as possible). If that fails, we'll still go ahead and run it on HD tomorrow but we shall work hard behind the scenes to get it working with all the dependencies in the new version of PR ;)

11. CrazyRabbit

Oh I get it now. That's the information stored in the .bsp file, minus the rubbish at the start. I can do that easy enough.

Maybe I can do a tank spawner for each tank (4 tanks spawners) and we tell PR what stats to give each tank as it spawns. ie: Name: tank_para will spawn paranoia, Name: tank_shaman etc. This also makes it so we have more control of what type of tank is spawned and how many are on the map at the same time. We don't want 3 shamans and only 1 baby tank, but vice-versa would be more manageable. Once a knight or shaman is spawned, we need a way to stop the tank spawners from spawning anymore tanks until the shaman or knight is dead, can that be coded also?

I was also thinking, maybe Donors should get the first chance to play? The payouts will be high and donors should get that first chance to get the rewards.

12. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

The excitement is making my iride change colour.

13. CrazyRabbit

Still gathering dust.

I can't do anything with it until I get my Steam working, but if you do play it.. write your thoughts good and bad and I'll try to improve the issues when I get myself back up and running again.

14. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

I was excited to play this map since L4d2 has gotten rather dull and I cant seem to find any populated, but not full servers whenever I do feel like playing. Pretty sure my last donor donation was wasted not playing :(

It's been over 2 months since the map has been playable, why hasn't anyone put this map onto a server?

15. CrazyRabbit

Last I heard, Legend had it ready to be loaded on to HD server, but marvel was away at the time. I'm holding off on pushing this since we're experiencing problems with the servers again.

Hang in there guys, one day we'll get to play it... maybe as a Christmas event?

16. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

I haven't played left 4 dead 2 in months. I start it occasionally to debug problems with hammercode, and before that I used to mod other stuff, but besides that, I haven't played a real game in over a year and a half. I'm looking forward to this event as well-- it'll be a nice opportunity for me to hang out with ol' buddies.

I like that Christmas event idea. By that time, things should be settled down and people will have a lot more time to enjoy.

17. zipper17

zipper17 Senior Member

when this map can be officially up at mgftw? i need challenging Tanks for sure.
    and maybe bring back OLD Shaman/ OLD Knight because is harder to beat lol.