1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Loss of levels after DB downtime.

Discussion in 'Server Questions / Issues' started by Solid.nl, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solid.nl

Solid.nl Junior Member

Well like the title says, went from 65 back to 47 not to mention the amount of skills i had accuired and and the around 5500 points still sitting to be expended. I only have a screen showing that i was at level 65 not one that i actually had those 5500 points sitting ready or what skills i had more then i have now.

Greetz Solid

2. Khadgar

Khadgar Junior Member

The same story goes for me.
    Solid got me onto this server and I liked it so I've played a lot the last couple of days.
    Was level 18 and had lots of upgrades and skills and now..... its all gone :-(

I really hope you can restore this. Would not be fun to start all over again.

Thanks for your support.

Edit: Ingame name: Team-dPu // Khadgar |LZ|

3. GamezMaster

GamezMaster Junior Member

I went from lvl 33 or 34 (I think it was 34..) to 12, lost alot of skills, points and buffs.
    I won alot with the lottery etc etc, now its all gone..

Would like to get it back aswell..

Ingame name: Team-dPu // GamezMaster|LZ|

4. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

5. GamezMaster

GamezMaster Junior Member

So.. there is no compensation?

6. marvel

No.

7. joerve

joerve Senior Member

Yes, you get to play even longer on the beautiful MG servers

8. Khadgar

Khadgar Junior Member

True but having to start all over again sucks monkey balls....... :-(

9. Solid.nl

Solid.nl Junior Member

Oke so shit happens, but seriously this should not have happend. I know you do this for fun and hopefully you enjoy doing it otherwise it would be a odd hobby to have and not enjoy it. But would you not agree that the moment you start running a game server you have certain responsiblities even if you dont get paid for it ? Your the person people turn to when things go wrong and when dealing with a system where people need to put time in, having backups should be a high issue. I dont say this to be a ass but i have been in the same situation for another game where the growth of the server went beyond the server software i was using forcing me to use a diffrent one that was not compatible with that database. People that spended weeks in leveling and getting items all of a sudden had to start from scratch. However i did made changes for a few days to get everybody back on track and it was accepted in the end.

Keep in mind i was also doing this for fun since i enjoyed writting scripts for my server and see people doing the things i put in there for them to do. But as a root admin i always made sure that the database was always there one way or the other if something would go wrong. Now running a server in a democratic way might not always work and trying to figure out who had what at this stage is almost a impossible task, even with logs the amount of players that come and go would build up to quite some boring log reading so i undersand why you would skip that idea. But in a situation like this would it not be a simple idea to increase the amount of points and xp you accumulate by a factor of 2 for 1 or 2 days.

And i am not saying how you should run your server since thats your bussiness but i do voice my opinion's. And i will honestly say i am bit upset since i did spend quite a few hours the last few days to get to 60+ only to get kicked in the face and told go back to start and pay 20000$. Noone like's spending time on something only to be told/realize it was all for nothing i am pretty sure that goes for you aswell.

Anyway thanks for reading this post and hearing me out, whatever you do the server is still fun to play on and i will keep playing here. Just need to grind my teeth a little getting back to where i was. Allthough its not as bad as playing any mmo on the market where it takes months so i will just keep that in the back of my head.

Greetz Solid

10. #_9

#_9 <span style="color:#66CD00">Game Server Moderator<

Guys its just a few levels.. geezus u guys are acting like we stole your l4d game or something.
    just play a little more and a lot of people were affected not only you so stop acting like we purposely did it to you. It was accidental and please don't get all defensive. At least we fixed it and are running a server that is practically always full. Cause We rock. :D

11. Solid.nl

Solid.nl Junior Member

Well it depends how many hours that were put into those last few days and i did spend quite a few getting from 45 to 65 which is not done in just 4 hours. Can you really blame me or anybody else for that matter to come here on the forums and ask why and how ?

Now keeping a server running is just one of the jobs but when you have a forum and website i assume you want to have a community to go with it. Then should it not also mean you look out for the community if something happens that is out of your control, i used to do it and granted you cant keep everybody happy since everybody has his own ideas but in this scenerio there would have been more options then just saying "no".

Authority is gained by making decisions, but respect is gained by listining.

Greetz Solid

12. joerve

joerve Senior Member

So let me get this straight: you are saying, we are doing you a favor by starting a pointsserver which you can freely join and play on, without any obligations and just for fun which you don't have to pay for. and in which marvel and the rest has put 1000s of hours of work, and yet we have to answer to you? you, with only 1 day and 20 hours connection time??

I say, maybe its time to visit your local psychiatrist and make an appointment for some therapy.

13. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

Respect is gained by making proper decisions--not by listening to someone who thinks they know how to run game servers. When you're playing on free servers, treat it like one. You didn't pay for it.

There's nothing that holds marvel from taking it down. Running servers is an expense. It's there for fun. It costs money, time and dedication, but at the same time, we all have jobs and lives and/or school. I can understand why you are upset, but take the time to understand we won't restore a later db for reasons that you don't need to know.

14. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

:o i can recomend a good one!

15. Solid.nl

Solid.nl Junior Member

Your assuming that i have no idea what it takes to run a server. But i have been there i have done all that i know exactly how much it costs and how much time it can take and i aswell was doing it for fun. So i know shit can break down and that mistakes can be made we are all human in the end. But still i have to wonder what would have happend if i donated and came here asking the same thing.

But i do still believe (my opinion) that a better solution after a rollback of a database can be found then just doing nothing with it. Its not just you guys but something in general you see happining even with larger companies.

Anyway i said what i wanted to say and its apparent we share diffrent opinions lets leave it at that then since this would end in a endless discussion that would only end badly for me and i do enjoy myself on the mg servers and i dont want to end up being in known as the guy that bitches about everythng. I normally dont bitch about anything even if you would let the tank jump thru hoops in a tutu... Oke that would be a bit awkward but you get the idea.

Greetz Solid

16. marvel

omg you really have no idea what you are talking about, we don't run 'just a server'. We have two in NL, one in the US, even one in Hong Kong. We replicate MySQL db's 4000 miles across the sea. We run the most complicated plugins out there with the most lines of code ever. So, when you 'ran a server' in the past, was it like this or was it an 8 player unreal tournament server on your home box? I can probably guess....

We backup our databases every day, so it's not that. The problem is waaay more complicated, on replication level. Just take my word on it that this is the best possible outcome we could've achieved to get things up and running again. If you don't, hell I don't care. It's just the way it is. Most people thank you for fixing it, others like you start to troll. It's something we face every day so I'm getting immune to it.

And lol, 5 days ago you didn't even know of the existence of our points server and now you and some other players feel like we owe you. What do you want now, your money back? Oh wait! You didn't pay anything in the first place! _O-

Have you ever heard of the dutch saying: Je moet een gegeven paard niet in de bek kijken. I think that applies here. If I give you a car for free, you'll probably start complaining it has no cd player and I owe you one, lol.

And yes, if you donated I would have personally restored your stats. But you didn't donate right? (oh wait, your dutch lol) We pay so we decide, you don't pay anything so we owe you shit. Keep that in mind. Donate and yes, then we owe you and fix it for you alone and I even give you some extra levels with it!

Dude really, like most dutch people you really don't show any class at all. Do you think it's my hobby to drive to the data center after 8 hours of work and spend 2 hours in a 30 degree server room fixing our DB server so you guys can have a good game again? And then come home and read comments like yours? That we don't show responsibility? Man you must be the biggest joke I have ever met in my life, really.

17. Solid.nl

Solid.nl Junior Member

No was hosting a ragnarok server with 200+ people on it at any given time running a mssql database without much info on the net about aegis which came with its own scripting langauge so yeah i know how it works. This was when private server hosting was still in its infancy so not the easy going things like athena like there is now. So please stop saying that i dont because i know how frustrating things can be as a admin when dealing with people. We both simply have a diffrent way of doing things thats clear, and correct i am new but it would not have mattered if i was coming here for months i would have still asked you.

But sorry m8 i did not meant any disrespect and I do appriciate the work being put in the server since its good fun. Like i said before we have a complete diffrent way of doing things and lets leave it at that, your right this is your server you run it the way you feel its best.

Greetz Solid

18. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

Ahem, it's not one server, but 11, maybe more ;)

19. joerve

joerve Senior Member

All a bunch of blablabla, go play on your own server if your so good at it and don't bother us with your bullshit

20. Sniper

Sniper Junior Member

wow, alot of ranting about the levels lost etc. Im here for the same reason, but to thank not to rant.
    I lost 10 levels or so, had it not been for the work of the admins restoring data from 2 days ago instead of 2 weeks, I would have been back at level 1. I think people would be a little more appreciative if they realise they could have lost 2 weeks worth of points/levels. Much thanks for the hard work and kudos on your servers, they are top notch :) (if not for them being a little laggy at times)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.