1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

Scenario Player Slots (POLL)

Discussion in 'Suggestions Box' started by timkit, Nov 8, 2019.

?

Should we allow other players to get into the scenarios more easily?

1. Yes, I'd rather let other players who haven't joined the scenario server today to have a chance.

28.6%
  2. No, these other players should be quick to join the scenario servers no matter what.

7.1%
  3. I don't know, this is quite difficult to come up with a solution with.

42.9%
  4. My response is in the forum post below! I have a way better solution for this scenario stuff.

21.4%
  1. timkit

timkit MG Donor

NOTE: This has already been talked about on the mgftw discord in terms of trying to address a scenario problem. The fact that some specific players (more inactive, not quick, lower level, specific timezone, and etc) aren't able to get into scenarios, unlike the rest of us players.

Here's the discord chat from when we talked about it:

Decided to go ahead and make this forum thread to see what people really think about this question:
    Should we allow other players to get into the scenarios more easily?

The only thing that I can suggest that solves some player problems is with adding in a 60 second cooldown to let other players join in when a daily scenario is being hosted before everyone else can. This cooldown will only apply to the players who were previously a part of the previous daily scenario that was attempted and won. This cooldown won't be applied in the event of a server crash.

You'll be able to know when you can join after the cooldown is over when a second notification is sent out to all servers, to let them know that a scenario is currently being hosted. This will happen exactly 60 seconds after the 1st notification, with this notification also showing up on the mgftw discord within #scenario.

This isn't going to stop some players from camping the scenario unfortunately, but we also need to know if this is going to help those other players in terms of the number of them who join within the first 60 seconds.

Now if this idea is not going to work, we can always revert back to the way things are as of right now. The consequence we're getting here is that it keeps those other players from joining the scenario servers forever more, given a factor of speed and luck.

Azer wrote his thoughts, here's what he said:

"Tbh, i am already fine by our scenario system.

If it needs to rework. I'll follow your idea, except there is a "but"."

Yank said more than what he lets on here in his post:

[16:09]
    *Evil*yank33 [Ω]:
    k i agreed with a little change. i only suggested it as the Scen server seems to know if I have just been on the Scen server lobby and has a rejoin cooldown to reconnect. Theoreticaly that could be applied to players that have a particular scenario in their completed list.

[16:12]
    timkit [™۞]:
    hm
    you know yank
    that 10 minute cooldown (if no scenarios are being hosted)
    only applies to those who leave
    get auto kicked
    or have anything else happen that causes them to leave the server

[16:16]
    *Evil*yank33 [Ω]:
    in seems If the Server can remember that you just completed a scenario, it could remember which one it was and the player list, which could be compared by PR when trying to join the next.

[16:19]
    timkit [™۞]:
    the same scenario won't always get hosted twice in a win case
    if tom's online, he will usually always host a different scenario
    until he can't host anymore

[16:20]
    *Evil*yank33 [Ω]:
    oh yea, i meant, it should be able to remember for the 24hrs

[16:20]
    timkit [™۞]:
    not a bad idea, and no problem with remembering just for the current day

[16:24]
    *Evil*yank33 [Ω]:
    i think it would be a way reduce the traffic a little bit, selectively. First Scens of the day would still be filled very fast, but by afternoon/evening time, it should help filter

Feel free to leave your thoughts below!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. yank33

yank33 Member

If there was a way to apply that 60 second cool down to players who have completed the Same scenario that day it would make sense. Ex: I completed prison today, therefore i will have a 60 second cool down on the next Prison hosting attempt today.
    Due to daily playing time limitations for many players, sometimes running 3 (different) scenarios in a row is all they have time for.

3. timkit

timkit MG Donor

I sort of have to disagree with your second point there. Unless you meant EU/US players and the other specific players, then this 2nd point more applies to them. Giving these players more chances to get onto the scenario, rather than denying them any chances is the better outcome.

4. timkit

timkit MG Donor

Sretzo's idea is being added in as a post rather than an edit to my post since it's big enough:

Why not discord bot handle the scenario queue Using !join in discord will allow them to join scenario server. Simply having bind to join scenario will lead player getting kick.
    Host : !sn
    Mgftw bot : please enter you steamed or username
    Host : host12345
    Mgftw bot : select the scenario
    1. Awakening
    2. Helm's deep
    Host : 1
    Mgftw bot : Slot open for Awakening Other players who wanted join the scenario please type !join
    Mgftw bot : 1 / 20

It very inconvenient but that helps ppl who is queue camper

The purpose checking player name/steamid is to check players inventory.

Or may be anyone who can host SC can enter scenario server normally. And when he start a host the IRC scenario goes all the server and discord. Typing !join will save the queue until it full of player not entered scenario within given time resulting his slot reservation dropped

Or penalty to rejoin for 5 mins

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  5. Airi

Airi New Member

Ehmmm idk a lot about scenario but from reading the discussion on it.... if you necessarily need the carry people to do the sn but nubs can’t get in then why don’t you create like two nub spots every scen? (Could be more or less) you could keep a timer in the background that times how many times someone played scen already, have it reset after a certain time and give the spots to people who have like < 5 joins? That way new people can practice, yes they’ll still have to be fast but they’ll have SOME chance of getting in. Idk maybe it’s stupid cuz idk exactly how sn works in general but I was just trying to think along. Because I do think Vak is right and you can’t complete without carry but if people never join they don’t get a chance to get good themselves right? Idk sorry if this is irrelevant ^^;

6. timkit

timkit MG Donor

The idea isn't bad at all.

As for the slots, give a few players a few scenarios to do their best, after that rotate them out and give them a cooldown on joining anymore scenarios until other players can come in and do scenarios.

If no other players join, then the previous players can join provided at least 60 seconds have passed.

7. timkit

timkit MG Donor

Got another idea. This won't completely address the problem with scenario players being unable to join... however:

What if only players who were able to host any scenarios could join the scenario server?

This will effectively stop some forms of hogging and force players to either craft for scenario or wait it out in the main menu for the next scenario host.

For players who already wait for the next scenario host in the main menu, this changes nothing.

Let us know your thoughts on this idea!

8. [Jokeeece]Nightmare

[Jokeeece]Nightmare New Member

My thoughts on allowing more people to join already hosted SN's: A queuing system has a good chance to be effective, however that would be able to get implementation.

9. Tom1993

Tom1993 Head Administrator Staff Member

I fully support this idea and also suggested it myself earlier but sadly afaik mute said it would be way too difficult to implement. And not to mention the amount of time and work it will require.

10. timkit

timkit MG Donor

RIP :(

as for the above idea, sensation actually suggested it since yesterday they complained about a couple of players who were holding up scenario slots in lobby (assuming they couldn't host anything)

Thanks for the reply though, Guess I can consider this scenario player slots idea (along with the poll) closed.

We can do our best to guide the scenario players though.

Shjn likes this.
  11. Shjn

Shjn New Member

me someday i can join 1, someday cant join any, so i really need a solution for this, just bought booster and cant use it, leave sn until u find a way for it tks tim

12. timkit

timkit MG Donor

Sadly, there aren't any solutions right now. If mute does ever find a solution or the need for player queues arise, then something in the future might happen.

13. Cranky

Cranky New Member

How about we make the access to the scenario random?

Not sure if this is technically possible, and this needs some more refinement, but why not make the server remember everyone who wanted to connect in like the first minute or so the scenario was announced. Then after that, it randomly chooses who gets access. And maybe posts a list into discord.

Since everyone who is playing scenario is in the discord anyways, they would see if they got chosen. This ways there is never a guarantee that you get in, but a chance that is the same for everyone.
    Of course, for the first 4 slots when no scenario was hosted are should not be affected by that.

What do you guys think?

14. timkit

timkit MG Donor

I'm not sure if other players would want that. Here's why this idea could not work for a few reasons:

1. Some players have a preferred scenario or time that they would like to do scenario. Some scenario players aren't always active and thus they may not get any chances to do the scenario that they want.

2. Everyone would have to connect to the scenario server within 60 seconds, regardless of it being full or not. For some players, they may not be able to make it or don't have the discord notification to know when a scenario is happening. Also not having discord means, they won't know if they got in or not without someone on steam to let them know that.

3. Overtime, players may get fed up if they don't get to join scenarios to get their quests done. Thus this would mean more players would have to host the same scenario each and every single time, if they wanted to have other players be able to have any chances to get their quests done.

just my thoughts

15. Cranky

Cranky New Member

I get your points, and they are valid.

But then I have to say this:
    Currently there are more people wanting to play scenario than slots. Meaning no matter what solution you pick, scenarios have to be repeated 2 or more times successfully every day so everyone gets their quests done.

So I hope no one takes this personally:
    But playing scenario only is their own fault. MGFTW is not only scenario and if you don't get a spot, go play coop. There are so many possibilities and complaining about not being able to play the only thing you do play is just stupid in my opinion.
    Other player are also annoyed by not getting a spot but at least they play the other modes too.

So to me, the point about scenario only players is invalid.

The point about discord for me is kinda invalid as well, since as of today you have no chance to get into a scenario on high load times, if you don't watch discord closely.
    So there wouldn't be much of a change to the current situation.
    I mean I have to closely monitor scenario chat on a second monitor to make out when I could be able to join.

So in my opinion, people focusing on scenario and not using discord should change their point of view, because it cant be, that people focusing on only one feature of mgftw should get a special treatment.
    that is just not fair to all the other player.

And again, with that random feature, everyone has the same chance.
    And there is always place in coop. I mean there are 4 server.
    I mean currently, many are facing a big issues whilst kind of the same persons get to enjoy scenario more.
    With a random feature, everyone will be facing the similar but way smaller issue .

Note:
    That thing about discord was just one idea to solve/create a random queue.
    I am a developer, but I know nothing about the technical limitations of l4d2/source servers. Maybe they are able to put players "on hold" for 1 minute or so, before letting them randomly fill the open slots.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020