1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

L4D2 Setting Reset Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr Zombie, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Mr Zombie

Mr Zombie Senior Member

Hey all,

Just need a little help with sorting this problem out, as I understand it came about because a Valve Update (dont know which one), I have tried googling for a fix for this but only find others asking for help on it.

The problem is, Every time I load the game I have to re-input my settings (ie. mic push to talk key, screenshot key, vote keys etc) and also my binds.

I have checked the [config.cfg] file and I can see the binds are in there.

The way it looks when I start the game is --
    Game loads > Servers & Friiend/Players List come up > Game checks for AddOns (I dont have any now) > Then the screen refreshes

Any Ideas on how to sort this are appreciated, Thanks :)

2. klarnetbass22

klarnetbass22 Member

Just one possiblity I can think of
    Check whether config.cfg is read-only or not in file properties. If it is, turn it off.

3. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Copy your file config.cfg and rename it to autoexec.cfg.

Remember to save the old copy of autoexec.cfg if something goes wrong.

The game automatically looks for the autoexec.cfg file on start up, the binds stored in it will all get loaded. I'm not sure about the config.cfg file.

Optional:

1) To further ensure that it actually loads up on game start all the time, add this to the end of your game 'Set Launch options' under the steam properties of that game: +exec autoexec.cfg

2) Try check if you can load the config file using the developer's console, use the commands, "exec autoexec.cfg" or "exec config.cfg" to load your config files. If there's an error, check if your files are in the correct directory and are in the correct format. That is, \Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[username]\[game name]\[game name]\cfg\. And the format should be .cfg.