1. Click here to join our community discord server.

L4D2 Chernarus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CrazyRabbit, Jan 27, 2013.

1. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

Yes. It's coming. A campaign based on the region of Chernarus from Arma 2/DayZ fame. Read below for more details.

Here's a couple of pictures of the first completed house. The long brown house...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For DayZ fans this will be instantly recognizable and I hope to bring Chernarus to life soon with as many replica buildings as possible. True to my technique with remakes, this will be an exact copy as much as I possibly can save for a few model changes and a few of my own personal touches.

The campaign will be set out amongst the main coastal cities (Chernogorsk, Elektrovodsk) and may finish with a finale on the NW airfield. True to the DayZ experience, there will be plenty of scavenging for health, pills, guns and car parts (need to find these car parts to progress to the next city). There may also be the occasional Bandit inside the cities to keep you on your toes.

Some events may include dismantling a barricade (as opposed to building one) in order to get to the safe house vehicle. That's right, your safe houses will all be vehicles that move you from one city to the next.

I'll post again when I finish the next building... the Fuel Station.

Cheers, CR.

2. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

I have 1 word for you: AWESOME.

3. CrazyRabbit

Fuel Station complete. Once it's added to the main map, I will add some more props and make it look different from any others. The layouts might all be the same, but they don't have to look the same inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Holy shit man.. looks too good to be true. If possible, make the campaiqn long and dayz like enviorment :D

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk 2

5. CrazyRabbit

Most of the maps will have several challenges required to move to the next area, this way I can keep players from rushing through and actually lengthen the time a level will take to complete, just like DayZ. With ideas like finding medkits in the hospital in Cherno or Elektro or AK47's inside the fire stations, most buildings will contain similar items as they do in DayZ.

Once you find a car, you will have to get all the wheels and fuel for it. This can be done similar to the Let's Build a Car map that was released last year. To reach another area, you might have to rip down the barrier. It won't be as simple as shooting some fuel cans like in Dead Air, it will be a matter of holding 'E' until the timer is up for each section of the barrier. You'll also run into Bandits that will shoot at you from rooftops or forest areas.

Since things might change during the making of the campaign, I won't give too much details and get hopes up. I want to achieve a lot with this campaign and hope it will stand up against the DayZ standalone in it's own ways. It won't be exactly the same, but it should come close albeit a different game engine.

6. CrazyRabbit

Haven't done any new buildings or anything this week, I was caught up watching both seasons of Game of Thrones (soooooooo addictive). Now I'm up to date on that, I can return to mapping this again soon. My daughters 3rd birthday today with her party tomorrow, so I might get back to working on it this Sunday.

I'm having all these idea's about making a random scare map, what do you guys reckon? I always need 2 projects on the go, when I get bored of one, I can work on the other. If you know any cool puzzles or riddles, let me know.

7. CrazyRabbit

I'm going to work on the fire station and hospital next. I'll be making the hospital more in-depth than it is in Arma 2, due to the copious amounts of hospital props available in l4d. I might even try to get a fire truck into the game, just for that added realism.

After that will be the army barracks, barns, large warehouses and then I'll go back to the smaller houses. I want to get the most prominent buildings done first. Some of the buildings you can't currently enter, I am going to make them so you can enter them. Like in the DayZ standalone, they have done the same thing. Non-enterable buildings in the mod are now enterable in the standalone, so you can expect the same for the l4d2 version.

8. Stefeman

Nice! You really should make the maps more "free to move" as well, but still some restrictions like: Go to the highest floor of hospital to activate the lever that lifts a huge blockage, and in that moment zombies would rush in beneath the blockage to the hospital area. or something like that xD

9. CrazyRabbit

Oh yeah, I plan to make it quite exhausting with a lot of backtracking to open new areas to explore with idea's as you posted. I'm just sorting out making the buildings at the moment. Fire station is about 50% done and I found a decent fire engine model to put inside the map also.

10. nsn

nsn Junior Member

this sounds so awesome so far. too excited at this point. sounds like it's gonna be a gig or two in size though.

11. Stefeman

Im pretty sure that mgftw will host the link for that map to our own community members :p

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

12. nsn

nsn Junior Member

yeah that's good mgftw will be backing the download with bandwidth and size. but it seems really cool. more updates wouldn't hurt. :P

13. CrazyRabbit

Sorry for no updates, but the fire station is a bigger building than I thought. If you look at it properly, it has a whole area that you can't enter. I want it to look exact, so I'm making that area as well as the playable area.

It won't be exact in the tower going up the stairs since the Arma 2 angle of stairs is made for Arma 2 characters that can climb steep slopes. L4D2 characters can't climb those angles, so I made the stairs go up slightly then turn on a 90 degree angle. You'll see what I mean when I show some screenshots.

14. vleermuis

vleermuis Junior Member

This is very cool. I always thought about how DayZ would be if they used the Source engine... I'm interested in what you will come up with! Keep up the good work sir!

15. erik

erik MG Donor

vleet

16. CrazyRabbit

Well, I got a fire engine into the game last night. Now, it was orginally ripped from GTA San Andreas, so the textures were low quality and it still had all the San Andreas decals. I edited the textures and now it's got Chernarus County Fire Dept on it instead. I think it came out alright, I won't be spending anymore time on it other than trying to fix a small glitch (decals don't show when flashlight isn't on them), but I think I have a fix for that.

Screenshots soon!

17. CrazyRabbit

The edited Fire Truck. Original model from garrysmod.org ripped from GTA San Andreas. Retextured by me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. CrazyRabbit

Not many people cared for my firetruck edit? Okay, feast your eyes on the fire truck inside the fire station!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not quite finished yet, still some more stuff to add and build but it was good enough to show you guys so you know I'm still working on this.

19. Stefeman

Amazing! :O

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

20. CrazyRabbit

This took quite a long time and still more to do, but I think I will move to another building first and come back to it later for more detailing. I was thinking of the hospital, but I'd rather leave that for later, so I might do some small buildings first (shacks, sheds, bus stops, doghouse ;) etc) just to get them out the way.