1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Keyboard & Mouse do not work | Cannot join team

Discussion in 'Server Questions / Issues' started by fnord, Nov 12, 2014.

1. fnord

fnord Game Server Moderator Staff Member

I can connect fine to any server. Once I join however, the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive. I cannot type in chat, join a team or click anything. I can hit 'c' and the chat box comes up, I can type in letters and numbers, but when I press Enter, it does not go through. No commands work either. When I join a server I see the option to click to takeover a bot, but clicking does nothing. I have restarted the PC and rejoined the server many times.

Everything works fine in single player local.

I have not added any workshop items in weeks. Nothing is stealing focus from the game because I can navigate the l4d main menu and edit game options without issues.

Thanks!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

The only thing I can think of is that there is a dialog box left over, and that you forgot to press OK to it. The next time this happens and you are in game, try pressing escape and seeing if there is a dialog box there. If there is, click on it and press enter.

3. erik

erik MG Donor

If he hasn't viewed the thread by now, I think you should ask Stefeman. This is the type of thing he knows about.

4. fnord

I thought of that also, but there is no dialog box, but it shows all the symptoms of that issue. Weird.

5. fnord

This may be one of those times to just re-install the game :)

6. fnord

For anyone wondering, if you experience the same issue as I, rejoin the server and it should work.

7. rapsusklei

rapsusklei Junior Member

I have the same problem.. I've tryied others servers too see if it's just MG and it is... any help?
    Rejoin may work for a while but when the map changed or even the next level of the map is loading it goes back to the problem and sometimes I've even get to spec and can't join and Im also stuck and yea.. that's it..fucking sucks bro.. someone help me. thanks
    sorry for english.

8. fnord

Same here, rejoin only lets me join a team. I still cannot type in chat or use any ! commands.

About 10% of time, everything works fine.

Edit: Just played a while and it did not work first few maps, then all of the sudden its fine the rest of the game.

9. rapsusklei

rapsusklei Junior Member

yeah it frkin sucks bro.. I was just playin on versus just now and I couldn't buy tank, or pills or meds and shit... dunno wtf to do...

10. fnord

This is what the console shows before and after I load and have the issue. Have no idea if this means anything.

[​IMG]

11. erik

erik MG Donor

Have you tried resetting all your keyboard/mouse options, including binds?

12. fnord

Thanks Erik, resetting config.cfg did the trick.

1. Open config.cfg (located in the Steam\SteamApps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\cfg)
    2. Delete all contents
    3. Save file and then change properties to "read only"
    4. Open L4d, with l4d running uncheck "Read only" for config.cfg, and then reprogram your keyboard settings in the l4d options. Reprogram your binds if you use any. Once you exit l4d the config.cfg file should be fixed.
    5. Once you have the binds and setting where you like them, make config.cfg Read Only so that steam cannot make changes to your working binds.

Edit: Added steps

13. rapsusklei

rapsusklei Junior Member

I have delleted the game and downloaded again and it worked for the frist map.. then it's all happend again... I can't believe this shit.. wtffff

14. fnord

Rapsusklei, I have also had the issue reappear after a successful few days of playing. What I noticed is that when my keyboard would not respond in game, my config.cfg file is the cause. When I could not type in game, I opened up my config.cfg file and in front of all my binds and setting was a line of text that read "unbind all". Why the unbind all is there is a question to me, but the solution is once you have all your binds and settings where you like them, make the config.cfg file Read Only so that steam cannot disable your binds and keyboard.

Let me know if that works for you, I will add that step above.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

To answer the 'unbind all' bit, what the config file does it remove all previous binds, then sets up the binds from the config file.