1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Joining game - immediately spawn vs. dead

Discussion in 'Game Server Ideas' started by slickster, May 10, 2014.

1. slickster

slickster Junior Member

Everytime we join a server we're always dead. It's not very fun to have to wait a whole level just to spawn, especially if the level just began. I understand it's so people that had just died can't log out and log back in so they can respawn immediately. Why don't you monitor when a person has last logged in? Like if they were just playing on the server less than 5 min. ago and they log back in then they become dead. But if the server hasn't seen them for over 5 min. then they instantly spawn in the game. Would that be a good solution?

2. tank

tank MG Donor

If you talk about join and respawn on co/op servers it was removed due the abuse in past :( .But i agree sometimes ist boring for me 2 join on server,been dead and wait long time til next chapter. For could monitoring each player probably will need some code, prog and if is it possible to make it ,idk, should ask Honor Code :)

3. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

It's fine how it is. Make a coffee or read a book while you wait.

4. erik

erik MG Donor

This

5. slickster

slickster Junior Member

Well I disagree that it's fine. I think it can be improved to make it more fun for the players. But we'll have to agree to disagree. Thanks for replying.

6. erik

erik MG Donor

Dude everytime someone dies they'll just rejoin the server to be alive.

This whole idea is an exploit waiting to happen.

7. slickster

slickster Junior Member

Did you read the part where I said to have the server monitor how long ago someone was playing? If someone was playing on the server less than 5 minutes ago then when they rejoin they should still be dead. But if they haven't been seen on the server for more than 5 min. they should be able to spawn immediately. That seems like a sensible solution. I don't see how that would be exploitable. You can complete some maps in less than 5 min.

Btw it doesn't HAVE to be 5 min I'm just using that as an example. It could be 10 min. But 5 min. seems like a good amount of time. That's actually a long time when you're in the game.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

It's not the maps they're worried about being exploitable. It's the tanks. (More specifically, Shaman/Knight/Bloody)
    You could say, for example, tell a bunch of your friends about a Shaman being in the server and just cycle between them when one dies, which would make things like using/buying a defibrillator pointless, and would probably make the tank really easy to kill, as you can just exit out and get someone else to join to dodge Special Infected as well.

9. slickster

slickster Junior Member

Yea I'm aware of the tanks but you really believe players would actually go to those lengths just to kill a tank? Having a bunch of friends on "stand-by" waiting to log in and coordinating through instant messaging? If they're playing in another game you think they'll just drop everything they're doing and quit so they can plan this strategy to join and kill this certain tank? That seems pretty far fetched to me.

How is it worth it to all the players that log out? They don't get xp if they log out before the tank is killed. A new player spawning in would not have any points to buy anything, nor any weapons or items. There won't be any health around if they've been fighting something like a shaman tank. I don't see a great advantage. If you had like a 10 min. wait time that's going to limit the amount of cycling you can do, unless you have A LOT of friends waiting to join and even then it's not going to help much against a powerful tank. And then only one of you would get the xp if you survived. Doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle.

How about this: if you log in and there's no tank and the server hasn't seen you in the last 5 min. you spawn immediately. If there is a tank then you can't spawn in and are dead. How's that? Or try a 10 min. wait time for tanks and if you find players really are exploiting it then disallow spawning when there's a tank.

10. tank

tank MG Donor

Nice book n coffe :) i like dat
    I usually making afgan tea and rolling one doobie, then watching some youtube videos til next round LOL

11. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

I've seen a few other servers handle this problem superbly. If you die in game YOU CANNOT spawn again that round, whether you disconnect or quit steam or any other thought of ways to bypass the system they have in place. Anytime you join the game, no matter of the survivors location during that map you'd spawn next to them. It's flawless.

But yeah, it's not a biggie. Sure, something similar to what I've mentioned would be welcome, but, I'm still waiting for bug fixes before yet more new content is added, again.

12. CrazyRabbit

You'd be surprised what we've seen in the past.

Slickster, you can argue your point until tank smokes his big fat doobie, but it ain't going to change the minds of the admins. The idea is rejected and won't ever happen, time to move on.

13. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

Aye, it's frustrating to join dead of course, but I usually just chill for a few minutes and watch the chaos... I'm not crazy desperate enough to be annoyed.

14. slickster

slickster Junior Member

What about what I suggested? If you log in and there's no tank and you haven't played in the last 5-10 min you spawn immediately. If there's a tank you're not allowed to spawn. What's wrong with that idea?

15. JavCube

JavCube MG Donor

I'm staying with the current setup. Avoiding exploits and further development and more possible bugs and crashes.

What i would be agree its to change the door lock timer, the root of this problem is that some ppl rush as soon the lock opens and doesn't allow for some ppl to load correctly.

16. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, I'd favour some kind of lock in place at campaign starts too, as those don't have a door to have locked.

17. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

We know the server displays connection info (Connected:12 Fake:0 Connecting:4) Why cant you make it so once the connecting hits 0, the door can be opened. That way EVERYONE has the chance to connect before people leave the safe areas. (Obvious exceptions are areas without saferooms, such as Crash Course map 1.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

I do agree with this idea (I'm usually one of the last to connect, luckily haven't had too many spawning dead issues recently), but I'd say there should be some kinda timeout (possibly 1 minute after the last person connected), since I've noticed that sometimes people would take so long to connect that they would never actually connect.

19. CrazyRabbit

Slickster.. no. It won't happen and we have far too many other issues to fix before something new is added.

People taking too long to connect is their own problem. It's due to older PCs loading the next map (I know this because I had a really old PC and always loaded last but now I load in the first 2-3 people) and it shouldn't hold up the server. If a majority of players have connected/spawned and are ready with the door unlocked then there is no need to make everyone wait. It's mostly courtesy that people stay back and wait for that 1 player that takes forever to join but it shouldn't be a rule for the whole server to abide by.

I can only see Map 1 of every campaign needing something to halt the insane amount of rushers, but then we'd also need something that gets rid of the car exploders, witch startlers, alarm car starters and all the other things trolls do on purpose to annoy people.

20. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

When a server loads the first map of any campaign, it always waits until everyone is connected to start the map, IIRC. It's only the following maps in that campaign where you'd load and start as fast as your pc allows.