1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Important! Upcoming changes to our infrastructure.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by marvel, Jan 15, 2015.

1. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

This can't come as a surprise to anyone, L4D2 is getting less and less popular and there is no way we can maintain all the different locations we have right now. Doing so is costing such an insane amount of money every month and although we have I think one of the most loyal and best donors of the gaming community it's not something we can keep up with.

It's just not sustainable in the long run to keep this amount of servers running on 3 locations and see it only filled 20-25% at the time, even less during nights. So that's why we're going to cut back on locations, servers and mods. Mods as well, yes. We feel like we're overdoing things by keeping 3rd party mods online that only a few people play like HV, ZG and VI and already have enough alternatives in the L4D2 community anyway. We want to put 100% focus on our own mods, HI & PR and serve them from, preferable, one location.

This means within now and the next few weeks CA and EU will be canceled and shut down. We have a replacement server coming in Dallas, Texas which we feel like is the best central location to serve players from all continents and give decent enough pings from Asia, Europe, North & South America. Asia will still be online for a while though, it's just been extended for another month and still very popular although numbers are declining there as well. We will look again at that server next month.

I know a lot of people won't like this and perhaps will be pissed off about this. This is not something permanent though. If player numbers increase again, i.e. when L4D3 is released, we can always scale up again and we will. Right now we just feel like it's better for our players as well to have just one location they can join, one server of each type so there will be always a game going on and people will always be able to play together instead of being scattered across empty servers throughout the world.

This has been a real tough decision to make, but we're here for 5 years right now and we plan to be there for another 5 so it's just one of those things that's inevitable, it has to be done and I hope you all can understand that.

As always we'll keep you updated as best as we can. See you in-game! :)

2. marvel

Some changes have been made already make sure to update your bookmarks, check sourcebans/hlstats.

Thanks! :)

3. marvel

Time for a little update. I can't say that we (as well as most of our players) are too happy with the recent changes. There are complains about lag and long waiting times for our COOP server (up to 2 hours). And lag and declining player numbers on HI. And this is all without DDoS attacks which haven't bothered us for a while now. What will happen if those start again (and we know they will some day). Update: 'Fun' fact: While I'm typing this Asia is being attacked.

However, new circumstances are forcing us again to change it all again and this has primarily to do with our Asia location. It was the most expensive location already but now our host is slapping us in the face with a 21% price increase. They say it's not their fault, but are acting according to a new regulation that started January 1st, 2015 where companies are required to charge sales tax to the amount of the country the customer is in. Since I live in The Netherlands where sales tax is a whopping 21% our monthly bill for Asia is now increasing with about $50.

This server was already too rich for our blood, but with this price increase we definitely can't afford it any longer and we are forced to cancel it.

So, to make a long story short:
    • Asia/Singapore location will be canceled as of Feb. 5th 2015.
    • New Los Angeles location (with 100 GBE DDoS protection) will be added. This location should provide reasonable connectivity to Asia and South America.
    • Dallas location will be canceled.
    • EU will return in some, limited form. Probably only PR COOP/VS/HI. Not sure yet.
    Again, some will love and others will hate these changes but it's all just an effort to cut our monthly operational costs. This is not something we're doing to annoy you.

To cover the costs of all these server changes (as these changes require an initial investment) we now offer a 40% discount in the MG Store for one week. Our lifetime premium package is now as low as $50 so if you can afford it please help us out by donating. I know some of you only play HI which doesn't have any donor features at this time, but if you can help us out please do so. Every buck will help so if you don't need any store items just visit our lame and hidden donate button here :P

http://mgftw.com/donate.html

Thanks for reading and thanks for your trust and support!!!

4. IM COMING FOR YOU SALE!

5. Jura

Jura Member

Why not integrate Adsense or something similar on the site (assuming that's possible)? I know I wouldn't mind having them on the site, as long as they're not popping out every 3 seconds, especially when every buck helps. I don't know how much income you would get, but if it's not too complicated to set up I'm sure it would be worth it...
    Anyway, it's just an idea.

6. marvel

Well, first of all I hate ads ;) Second, everybody runs an ad blocker these days and thirdly our site doesn't have enough traffic, we would probably make $2 a month.

We're doing fine really, we can't just run 3 servers anymore worldwide that's it. No shame in that, L4D2 is an old game. When L4D3 comes out one of these days and I'm sure it will then we'll be able to fill all slots again.

7. Jura

Jura Member

Well then, let's pray to almighty Gaben, that L4D3 will come as soon as possible

[​IMG]

P.S. Good job on the forums, they're pretty easier to use now and a lot less buggy :)

8. ChooChoo

ChooChoo Head Administrator Staff Member

And if0 Valve does a crummy job with any map designs, you know I'll do my thing to make it work for 20vs... :D lol

9. Steph

Steph Game Server Moderator

I'm curious to see some HI l4d3 :)

10. tank

tank MG Donor

11. So... you mentioned that there's plenty of alternatives to the servers that were shut down, right? Well, I'm just wondering where they are.
    Where's all the regs from VI playing now that its gone?
    R.I.P Vicious Infected. You will be missed.

12. marvel

I'm still debating about VI. I will update soon got some other stuff to worry about first.

13. marvel

New updates!
    • New PR version is live on all servers, which should fix a few glitches (Thanks HonorCode!)
    • New LA COOP server is online. This server features 100 gbps DDoS protection, if that's not enough then well, gg to the attacker. Versus will move there as well soon and this will be replacing Asia and Dallas in the near future.
    • L4D1/VI/ZG not sure yet, still need to sleep a night on that but will update soon on the status.

14. erik

erik MG Donor

Very nice to see some of those bugs fixed, like the "common infected don't ignite quickly enough" thing. :)

15. Mute

Mute Head Administrator Staff Member

Yes, a thousand time this, so glad to see this fixed.

However, unless this got changed recently, it seems the Pills/Adrenaline health buffer upgrades aren't working. I looked in the upgrades menu and noticed the health they give have been reduced to a 100% increase (suggesting 100/50 health from pills/adrenaline), but when you use them, they are only giving the default amount of health as in standard L4D2 (50/25). Apologies if this has already been fixed or noted.

16. erik

erik MG Donor

I believe Tank Lure isn't either. Have not verified personally. These bugs are most likely due to 1 small change that domino-effected its way across PR.

Could you please create a separate thread about this? POST-1.4 bugs

17. erik

erik MG Donor

same nabes with better graphics

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

sorry Steph, I had to

18. raz

raz Head Administrator Staff Member

Shaman spawned last night so it's safe to say it is.

19. Mute

Mute Head Administrator Staff Member

That, and if this image says anything, I think Tank Lure is working just fine:
    [​IMG]