1. Click here to join our community discord server.

How to bind your keys

Discussion in '[L4D2] Hidden Infected' started by ChooChoo, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ChooChoo

ChooChoo Head Administrator Staff Member

So, people have been asking a lot on how to bind things like mines and bear traps, or even to use exploding vest to keys. So, here is how you bind your stuff.

First, we need a key for example... let's use O for this example and say, it'll plant a mine. First, the basics of binding a key is as such:

Code:
    bind o "(commands go here)"
    Now, in between the quotes is where we will have our commands. To open the buy menu, we use sm_buy.

Code:
    bind o "sm_buy"
    Now we want our key to do multiple things. We need it to not just open the buy menu, but to select the mine, and buy it. We will have to use semi-colons to separate each action.

Code:
    bind o "sm_buy;menuselect #;"
    "menuselect #" is how we will make our key navigate the buy menu for us. Menuselect is as if we were pressing the numbered keys to select things. Now, in the infected buy menu, the current items are listed as such:

Code:
    (This list is subject to change.  Always check to make sure the numbers are correct.)

[code]
    (Page 1)
    1. Activate Suicide Vest
    2. C4 Bomb
    3. Mine
    4. Vomit Mine
    5. Silenced SMG
    6. Knife
    7. Hammer

(Page 2 - Menuselect 9;)
    1. Grenade Launcher
    2. Napalm Mine
    3. Interruption
    4. Gore
    5. Leap
    6. Poison Pills
    7. Bear Trap

(Page 3 - Menuselect 9;)
    1. AWP

Now, in this case, the Mine is 3. So, we use menuselect 3. Then, we need menuselect 1; This will choose the buy option.

Code:
    bind o "sm_buy;menuselect 3;menuselect 1;"
    Now with this, pressing the O key will plant a mine under you. You can mash the key to place multiples in one spot for maximum effectiveness!

Now, for bear traps! To do this one, this involves navigating to another page of the menu. We will bind this one to P.

To do this, we will need to use menuselect 9 to go to the next page, then menuselect 7 to select bear trap, then menuselect 1 to buy it.

Code:
    bind p "sm_buy;menuselect 9;menuselect 7;menuselect 1;"
    Now you can mash the P key to spam bear traps all over the place.

As for the suicide vest, we will use the simple shortcut for it called sm_vest. Do note that you WILL instantly use vest with this. Let's say we bind it to L.

Code:
    bind l "sm_vest;"
    I hope this helps in someway. :)

2. Nikki

Nikki Junior Member

The "/" before the buy and sm_vest is not needed? (ex. /sm_vest; /buy or !buy)

3. Mute

Mute Head Administrator Staff Member

In console and in binds, you don't need the / before the commands. If you were to type the commands in chat, then you need the / or !.

4. ChooChoo

Nope, not needed and just takes longer. This is what you put into console.

If you want to use /buy, you would need to use the chatbox in console as such:

Code:
    bind l "say /sm_vest"
    It's better off just to use sm_vest or sm_buy.

5. Nikki

Nikki Junior Member

Oh, thanks guys. All my binds are like !buy, /sm_vest lol

6. ChooChoo

Ah. Well, you can use the binds I have above. :)

Now, if you wanted to say, bind to buy the AWP, you have to do this:

Code:
    bind k "sm_buy;menuselect 9;menuselect 9;menuselect 1;menuselect 1;"
    Because in the buy menu, you press 9 to go to page 2. You press 9 again to go to page 3. You press 1 to select AWP. You press 1 again to buy it.

Easy to understand, right?