1. Click here to join our community discord server.

'Hidden Infected' mod

Discussion in '[L4D2] Hidden Infected' started by marvel, Nov 24, 2013.

1. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

I wanted to make a topic about the hidden infected mod we've been playing for several hours yesterday with both members and admins. Some of you don't know this mod yet so I will try to explain it first so you know what it's all about when you play with us next time :)

If you already played TTT (Trouble in Terrorist Town) then you'll get the idea, it's a L4D2 'port' from that mod. I use the quotes since it was built from the ground up by HC so it's not really a port but it's inspired by that mod.

So how does it work?

Survivors start in a barricaded area which is safe from the infected, however a small percentage of all survivors are traitors or as we call it 'hidden infected'.

The hidden infected look exactly like the other survivors only their goal is not to survive but to get the other survivors killed by any means possible.

They can switch to a hunter (quickly double tap left shift). They can use !buy to buy stuff like mines or C5 explosives. They can even buy a hammer to knock down the barricades to let common and special infected in or they can simply shoot survivors. Hidden infected will get credits to buy special stuff for each killed survivor.

While killing survivors the hidden infected must remain undetected as it's the survivor's goal to unmask them: find out who they are and kill them.

However survivors are not allowed to just randomly kill people based on a suspicion, they must have 100% proof someone is hidden infected before they are allowed to kill. When they have that proof they say in chat 'KOS <name>' (KOS = Kill on Sight). When they don't have proof and they still kill people they will be punished. The punishments range from a slayed survivor to a temporary ban.

Survivors can collect proof by studying dead bodies, or perhaps they see someone planting a bomb, or somebody is shooting someone. Anything that can help to find out who the hidden infected are.

If all hidden infected get killed the survivors win, if all survivors get killed the hidden infected win. It's that simple :)

This is a completely new mod and has nothing to do with PR btw so there is no CP but in the future when the mod leaves alpha stage we'll implement some rewards which can be used on all of our servers :)

We are currently testing the mod on our test server in Los Angeles. It's down right now, but watch our steam group announcements and/or forums as we'll announce the next event when we start it up.

Please use this topic for discussion about this mod. For bugs you may encounter please use our bug tracker: http://mgftw.com/bugs/. The Hidden Infected tracker has already been added to that and is waiting for his first bug reports :)

I want to thank everybody for your time and patience when testing with us yesterday which I think was a huge success :)

2. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

Was great fun, never expected L4D2 to have something like it. Nothing like an intelligently placed C5 when playing as inf to spice it up!

Definitely recommend people to get on this next time it's up, it's hilarious!

3. Tom1993

Tom1993 Head Administrator Staff Member

It was really fun to try it out, never played a mod like it before.

4. Kakarot

Kakarot Senior Member

That is one fun mod. Never had this much fun in a long time.

5. Tricky

Tricky MG Donor

Missed it :( Wounded

6. Angel

Angel MG Donor

I had tons of fun with it, it was something new and it required a bit of thinking and planning, sounds like my type of game ;)

7. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

Would it be interesting to make some custom maps for this game mode? I haven't played it yet, but it sounds like a twist on Survival mode.

8. Its a fun and good game mod,which requires communication between each other very much :).

9. dikew

dikew Member

I had a blast with it, I own the Garry's mod though but I never feel that Trouble in Terroist mode because the game need me to download these and those, and I'm happy because MG bring that mode to l4d2 and I can join with just one click without downloading anything.

10. erik

erik MG Donor

Fresh and outside-the-box.

Just the breath of fresh air Versus servers (or any MG server) need(s.)

11. HonorCode

HonorCode Head Administrator Staff Member

I was thinking of ways to keep the survivors busy for a while and came out with a few concepts that are in the original TTT.

Randomly, a couple of survivors will be chosen as detectives. Detectives will be able to purchase special gear using credits (like the infected) and their job is to find and murder the infected (just as anyone else). Among the gear they would have is the TTT's original DNA scanner that collects traces of infected DNA on dead bodies, and reveals the killer position each 45 seconds.

In order to avoid detectives from finding them too easy, the DNA traces will decay after 1 minute has passed since the survivor's dead and also, burning bodies with molotovs or other tools such as C5 bombs will make the un-recognizable.

Besides the detective roles, I was thinking of adding a roll called "Scientist". Basically, people with this role are able to research for new items for themselves or for the current detectives. Research doesn't cost credits but does cost time (for example, an item will be unlocked after 2 minutes of research).

This puts even more preassure on the infected as they have to make sure the scienttist dies fast or to start commiting murder soon.

An example of an item a scientist can research is an infected alarm that will go off when the infected stand near for more than 3 seconds.

Both of this roles will surely bring more strategy for both sides of the survivor (for example, after researching for the infected alarm, detectives could start gathering everyone around and if it goes off they'd be able to spot the infected).

This is an example of role distribution:

Using a population of 20 survivors:

- 4 to 5 infected (random)
    - 1 to 2 detectives (random)
    - 1 scientist
    - 12 to 14 survivors (based on roles above).

Any thoughts?

12. Kakarot

Kakarot Senior Member

To make more realistic, survivors can only use pistols but then will need to increase the number of detectives, as survivors are just survivors. Its the responsibility of the detectives to find and kill the infected. And survivors will need to stay alive or just defend themselves.

13. HonorCode

It's the responsability of the entire community of survivors to find and spot the infected, detectives would just have a little more authority as they are proven of not being infected by the fact of being detectives.

14. I couldn't join the server that time due to some IP issues. So I didn't actually have a chance to play it. :smiley-signs118:
    Was there like a time limit where the round has to be completed like in the original TTT?

15. HonorCode

Yeah there is, if the infected don't success then the survivors win.

16. sk3ith90

sk3ith90 Member

5 inf from total 11 players~ inf raging!!! :3

17. could be fun i'll try to join one of these days

18. sk3ith90

sk3ith90 Member

hmmmm~ HC can you do something about when someone change into a hunter sometimes their health bar is gone too~ so sometimes you'll who's the inf that way~ and when they back the health bar is back~ :3

19. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

He'd have to disable teammate health bars completely so you don't see anyone's health and wouldn't notice when they switch to hunter (team switch).

I recorded some video of us playing earlier, I'll post it up so everyone that hasn't played yet can get an idea of what it's about, sort of like promoting it.

20. sk3ith90

sk3ith90 Member

hmmmm~ well thats a good idea i think~ i don't know about other~ disable it or maybe any other way? :3

btw had a really fun experience today in hidden inf server~ most of the time i was the inf~ and people start killing me even if i was surv :P
    "KOS skeith when it started" "he's gonna be inf again"
    and then almost everyone following me even before started~ :P

come play this new mod guys~ its fun~ we need more people :3