1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Halloween Event Strats, Tips, Discussion

Discussion in '[L4D2] Points Reloaded' started by Adward, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Adward

Adward Game Server Moderator Staff Member

*Original thread announcing the event*

Fantastic, hard, crazy new event is on from the 24th-31st and we need all on deck! With that in mind I figured we'd need a thread with all known info/tips together so we all have the best chance against the tank.

Note about glitches/exploits/cheats:

This thread isn't for promoting the use of exploits which circumvent the idea of the event (namely, a fair fight against the Halloween tank). If you find such a glitch, please report it to one of the staff, don't abuse it!

erik's info on the tanks:
    -Name: Executioner (Alias: Halloween)
    -HP: 285K
    -Speed: 1.4 + 0.6 per 10% health loss
    -Normal Hit Interval: 1.0 - 0.05 per 10% health loss
    -Incap Hit Interval: 1.0
    -Level: 2125
    -Damage: 20HP
    -Incap Damage: 1200HP
    -Tier: 3

Description:
    It is believed that people who end up becoming one of these tanks had several psychological
    issues among anxiety and depression. Instead of being filled with rage, it displays joy and
    likes to give its victims slow deaths. The tank is able to manipulate the survivors brain by
    releasing a liquid that quickly becomes a gas, generally confused with rain. The tank is able
    to confuse its victims to the extend of driving them insane. Finally, when the tank gets
    bored of its victims, it executes them by dealing a extremly strong punch, destroying all
    their vital organs. This is why the tank is refered to as the Executioner tank.

Passives:
    -Fire Immunity: the tank is immune to fire.
    -Melee Damage Reduction: The tank shields 90% of total melee damage.
    -Fire rock: The rock can explode and will leave a trace of fire (Damage: 24HP/s).
    -Acid rock: The rock can explode and will leave a trace of acid.
    -Ice rock: The rock can explode and will slow down nearby survivors by 35%.
    -Confusion: The tank's punch will leave survivors confused and unable to see their teammates.
    -Mega Punch: The tank has a 10% probabilty of forcing survivors to drop their weapons on each hit.
    -Projectile Incinerator: Incinerates any heavy projectiles (grenades, molotovs, bottles) that go
    near the tank. It can also incinerate throwable traps.
    -Mute: The tank has no vocal chords and cannot emit noise.
    -Boomer Motivation: Increases nearby boomers basic stats to deal a lot of damage (Range: 2000)
    -Anti-Moustachio: Moustachio bless does not work while the tank is near (Range: 500)
    -Execution Spirit: The tank refreshes all its active cooldowns by 15 seconds on each survivor executed.
    -Desperation: When the tank reaches 5000HP, it increases its normal damage to 300HP, incap damage to 2400HP
    hit interval to 0.1 and speed to 2.5. Additionally, the tank becomes immortal for 55 seconds. Once that time
    passes, the tank will explode (similar to bomb tank) and die. With the tank's death, any remaining infected
    will die as well and no more will come attack the survivors. The tank loses all his other abilities on this
    state.

Actives:
    -Mind Trick: Scares the survivor by forcing allucinations and playing tricks to his mind. Does not damage.
    -Crow Attack: Sends crows flying into the air that will attack the survivors, aiming specially to
    their eyes. Damage: 60HP on cast, followed by 35HP/s during 5 seconds.
    -Organic Bomb: Plants candy-shaped bombs that explode if survivors get nearby. Damage: 50HP
    -Organic Seeker: Releases a candy-shaped bomb that seeks and follows survivos to explode upon
    collision: Damage: 45HP.
    -Little Jokers: Spawns a "Joker Tank" that instantly disappears after 45 seconds.
    -Stand still: The tank deploys a square trap that will surround an area for 5 seconds. If
    a survivors ends up inside the trap and attempts to move away, he will receive 300HP damage.

He's hard. Putting it mildly.

Potential rewards for gathering candy:
    Halloween Spirit Buff - (1 Week) - [1 Candy]
    The Halloween spirit buff will increase your damage against Special Infected by 60%, and against tanks by 5%.

Acid Protection Buff - (1 Week) - [1 Candy]
    The acid protection buff will reduce by 50% the slow effects and damage of the spit.

Knife Recycle - (1 Week) - [1 Candy]
    Using knives on smokers will not remove the knife.

Poison Shield Buff - (1 Week) - [1 Candy]
    Blocks the poisoned status from all sources.

Mutation Shield Buff - (1 Week) - [1 Candy]
    Blocks the mutation status from all sources.

Unlock Unique Buff Slot - [3 Candy]
    Unlocks the final buff slot to equip additional buffs.

General Status Shield Buff - (1 Week) - [5 Candy]
    Blocks all bad status from all sources.

Pet Buff - [5 Candy]
    Allows you to spawn a fellow charger pet that will help you kill enemies.

Desperation Buff - [10 Candy]
    Increases your claw damage by 3HP +2HP for each 10% health lost.

Insane Jockey Buff - [15 Candy]
    Randomly allows you to spawn as an insane jockey to experience 50% attack speed increase, 400% damage increase and 90% health increase.

Ice Tank Buff - [30 Candy]
    Allows you to randomly become an Ice Tank on Versus servers.

x3 Booster - (1 Week) - [30 Candy]
    This booster will make you earn 3 times the exp and cash you usually earn.

Tips so far:
    -Don't start before your team is ready!
    You can either start the event through the car outside or through the radio inside, so don't get careless and accidentally jump on/shoot the car. You want everyone to be ready to go, because hunting for defibs 10 minutes in is only going to go badly.

-Pick a place!
    Doesn't matter if it's in the parking lot, the underground, the theatre, but you need to pick one place and play it as a team. Don't dance around sites halfway through!

-Get all the defibs!The tank is a tough bastard, so you NEED all the defibs the map has. There's one in the starting lot with the ammo pile, one in the underground car park near the elevator, and another up top near the two miniguns. Use them effectively! Try and resurrect at least 3-4 people with a single one.

-Pick people up, and be a Hero! - Big text because it's the most important goddamn thing
    With the Halloween tank dealing 1200HP damage to incapped survivors, it's paramount that everyone has the guts to ride in and take hits to pick each other up. You have seconds to pick people up before the tank nails them, so get to it

-Dump useless buffs.
    I'm looking at you Tank Lure, Negotiator, Speedy Water, and all other buffs that don't help complete this event. Focus on the ones that allow for survivability, helping teammates. Knife bag is limited in utility due to the fact that everyone should be together, and SI don't spawn as fast. Adrenaline Run also seems to be limited in use.

-No !buy menu? Conserve kits, pills, and defibs.
    Don't use a healthkit just when you're on low health. Save it for when it's really needed. Try and use the increased electricity upgrade to resurrect more dead players.

-No tank lure.

I love Shamans, you love Shamans, we all love Shamans. But we don't need them and other high-tier tanks using up kits & defibs for the Halloween Tank. Do our chances a favour and take it off.

-Stick together.
    If you run off on your own, you will almost certainly die. Don't allow the tank to pick off you and your teammates one by one!

-When the tank HP becomes "Dying", run like hell.
    It's now a bomber tank essentially. Don't let it have the last laugh.

-Most of all, have fun! It's an event designed for fun and enjoyment for the MG community, so approach it in the right spirit and be calm, polite, and a good team player. Do your bit and not only will others have a better time, but we'll win more too. :)

Earlier we won and obtained candy through holding in the theatre with the mounted gun. We've gotten close fighting outside too.

Post your tips, help, and I'll add them!

2. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Awesome post, thanks for that :)

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Just to mention some other buffs which don't seem so useful, Knife bag as it seems not that many SI spawns (though one or two knives are still useful) and it seems adrenaline run is disabled, so no need for that.

4. Adward

Added a note about glitches/exploits/cheats. Also added Adrenaline Run and Knife Bag to the buffs part, cheers!

5. [Nightmare]

[Nightmare] Junior Member

theater seems to still be the best place to hold out... the event is quite hard win rate i would say is about 1:26 or so...(excluding exploit and toliet rounds)

Tbh i would say making the round easier but making the rewards cost more would be more feasible as the server is empty (even though its an event) sometimes

6. Adward

I'd perhaps say the problem is the rewards are too much - the booster in particular seems very high for a week-long x3.

It's also going to be hard to get rewards such as the ice tank within a week (especially with the new limit for played rounds), and I'm nearly s.o.l as I want to get the jockey buff & Ice tank >.>

Will there be an opportunity to pick up these buffs in the future too? This event (along with the new coop server!) has really reinvigorated my interest in L4D2 and I'd love to max out the available buffs! :D

7. Guest

Guest Guest

So as I find myself playing on the server for too long (and should probably find something else to do) I shall pass on some small tips.

Don't start till everyone is ready
    One thing I see is people starting when others are scattered getting resources and what not. Have some patience, rushing wont ensure victory!

Find a place to settle and get supplies
    Running around willy-nilly probably wont end well. Find a spot, either the underground car park, the burning theater, or anywhere you think might work, and bring as many supplies (pills, medkits, defibs etc) to the area.

Grab the defibs
    People are gonna die one way or another, so get some defibs on the ready. I think there are 4 in the map, one near the starting ammo pile, one in the underground car park near the elevator and one up top, under the two miniguns. Not sure where the last one is.

That's all I can think of right now, I'll edit/make a new post if I can think of anything.

8. Centro2

Centro2 Junior Member

i want give some tips from what i think since play there :mad::mad::angry_smile:

I think it just about helping fast to peoples who got incap and don't get incap :angry_smile:
    don't thinking too much to help if u see incap peoples and don't let anyone be alone or he will dead (stick together).

If you have little health, just use your pills or your kit.. don't hesitate to use them. I'm sure we think "i will use my kit to self revive or when black and white, and my pills to revive too"
    tank damage only 20 for normal damage and 1200 to incap peoples, just for you know it's almost impossible to self revive because tank always find incap peoples first, 1200damage and mustacio bless doesnt work. That's why don't let anyone be alone or too far, we need to help them as fast as possible when he got incap.
    If everyone have full health it will give more time to shoot the tank or at least you are not easy to get incap because only 20 damage per hit. many times I saw so many kits everywhere when many peoples died, it just wasted our kit and pills.
    we thinking too much to use our stuff, always delaying to use them for maximal performance, but in reality we often die before use our stuff :oh: not maximal performance :oh:

Talk about health, very important to always look your health.. even just 1 health point its so precious!!!
    usually many peoples don't care with their health because "someone must be will pick me up when i got incap"
    but in here, if you incap = 90% dead
    also beware to tank's rock, mainly fire and acid rock.. without us knowing actually fire from his rock more dangerous rather than his claw because 24 damage PER SECOND and just out from the fire as fast as you can.

Talk about spot where we fight the tank, we need place where no CI+SI will bother us when fight. I'm sure you know the feeling when the tank walking to you and you want to run but 1 little zombie still bite your ass then you can't move till the tank owned you..
    basement and theater is good place.. if want fight in basement, don't let the elevator door open because it just let all the CI and SI come to you when fight with tank.. and this place is wide enough, we can easier to run and see all of your team..
    if want fight in theater(with machine gun), likely you will who die first if use that machine gun(i feel it).. this place has a weakness, more SI will come because have few spots open, path on left and right side also will force us to spread out and harder to help each other..
    btw, another theater there too.. i called it "theater with horror movie", no one has ever fought there. few times i told to fight there but that "horror movie" words makes them think i just want to have fun there(actually yes:angry_smile:) BUT i got some good feeling about that place and because less spots open to CI come in. moreover we will easier to move on that rows of seats rather than in last theater although we killed it first time there (i'm there too). at least we need to try fight there ONCE!!!

Talk about buff.. remove your negotiator+peanut blessing or etc that all about with market, use the slot for more important buff here like boomer protection, SHOVING EXPERT lol (im serious:mad:), morphine injector is not bad too..
    i equip heat missile+floral grenade launch, this tank has "projectile incinerator".. but when im shooting the tank with floral.. his health decrease more fast!!!:eek:(or not:eek:), seems it works :eek:
    so for level 211++ use heat missile+floral better than weird buffs :smiley-happy055:
    if u see GL, just take it.. and when you use your floral already and see another weapon, drop your GL.. so, if another people with floral see that GL, he can use his floral too.. no need too focus to use the floral because we still focus shoot the tank :mad: oh ya for me use veteran pistol more usefull, use this if the situation allows you to use it, and don't say lazy to use that, you will not get anything with your laziness :angry_smile: except you are on black and white mode, use main weapon is better(just see the situation) i usually changed my weapons many times between pistol and main weapon.

and thennn... many moreee...

9. [Nightmare]

[Nightmare] Junior Member

I'd say for future events give low lvls a buff and choose a map that requires teamwork to win rather than just lvls

10. erik

erik MG Donor

I recently proposed a "low level auto equip" buff group to HonorCode that automatically gives level 1-20 gamers a set of crucial skills, upgrades, and buffs, which drops off as soon as they hit level 21.

It's on the "to do" list. The idea is to not make them feel overwhelmed and give them a fighting chance at all game modes, including PR-VS.

11. Adward

Updated!

The idea of core buffs/etc for low levels sounds great - there are friends who I'd love to introduce to PR-VS but the high percieved barrier of entry would put them off. Anything to build PR-VS up again is great for me!

12. erik

erik MG Donor

Definitely. Simply put: People get discouraged joining PR for the first time, and having super weak hunters, not being able to do what everyone else is doing, etc.

If they could automatically be able to have good bitch slap power & have the skill auto-equipped, have fast pickup (to keep high levels from bitching,) have more incaps before black & white, and also have buffed hunter health/strength, they'd be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more likely to rejoin.

Besides, it's not a PR saturation risk, they'll all drop off at level 21+.

Lastly, we lose NOTHING by trying an idea like this. We lose EVERYTHING by losing the gamers because they have a bad or non-effective "first experience" with MG. The only way to get new players in PR-VS (besides mixing it up for the regulars) is to foster and encourage new gamers being recruited. This is my idea on how to keep that idea moving.

About the Halloween event, can't reiterate enough how important it is to take risks, even risk dying, to pick someone up. If people don't do that, the Halloween tank will just whittle the team down one-by-one. It's almost hard for the tank to WIN if everyone keeps rapidly picking each other up.

Don't hesitate to make sure people don't afk for too long on the server. It's one thing to just reach over and pick up the phone, then put it down, it's another if they go afk for the length of 1 tank battle or longer. If that is the case, they need to leave and rejoin and risk waiting in line. Otherwise, it's not fair to the rest of the server. If they are a donor and are abusing this, that's a clear case of "donor abuse." Serious issue either way, so don't hesitate to call myself or another admin if need-be.