1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Extreme Co-op

Discussion in '[L4D2] Points Reloaded' started by Wolf O'Donnell, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell Senior Member

hey guys,

first off, extreme co-op is extremely challenging; very fun to play. However I noticed that some of the lower levels that play on AU servers (and others i'm presuming) when they're on their own, i.e 4 / 5 lower players together, they can barely leave the saferoom without being horded by spitters which demolish them in a few seconds. What I think would be good so these lower levels can still have a good chance is have a few different difficulty settings for it; like have something that calculates the total level of the team and adjust the 'extreme-ness' accordingly, so the server would be able to accommodate for when the server has a lower amount of players and when the server is full. Even I couldn't do the last map of dead center with this extreme, 3 / 4 other lower leveled people and a few bots and the difficulty was on easy!

what do you guys think?:peep:

2. Chocobo

Chocobo <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

I think we should put a level limit, like on Helms Deep on the server. It is clearly too hard to do for the low levels.

And it would give them something to work for :)

3. vishus puss

vishus puss MG Donor

Helms deep says it has a level limit but I've seen players in there way below the limit. While it is going of course. ^^

EDIT::: Players say all the time there should be a level limit in VS PR... Just thought I'd mention this.

4. Possibly, or maybe the ability to switch it to a slightly less extreme version. Personally I prefer the madness of playing extreme with only a handful of ppl. Although, even with the two highest ranked players (MAX and Ton) and a few others from lvl 30 to 90 it was a real struggle to complete. That said I just played with about a dozen all high lvl and it was pretty easy to complete. Perhaps letting people choose how many zombies they want would be the easiest way. You could just do it as a vote like the map changes.

Ive seen low lvls refuse to even leave the safe room when there arent enough players. That said they were kicked by an admin after a few minutes. I could imagine the extreme servers are a bit daunting for someone below a certain lvl or skill, however, I dont like the idea of excluding ppl based on rank as this often isnt an indication of skill so much as time spent playing. If someone low lvl wants to struggle on the extreme servers for the higher rewards I say let them. It will pose a real challenge till you get some vital upgrades and skills but I think they should at least be allowed the chance. Perhaps a simple message on connect informing people of the difficulty of the servers would deter all but the most crazy of low lvls from joining.

5. smokke1982

smokke1982 Banned

To quote Tracy Morgan in "Cop Out"

NO, NO,NO. HELL NO....Not eve..NO, NO

It's called EXTREME for a reason. Come on, ppl of MG. You made all other servers n00b accessible,I BEG YOU PLEASE LET US, HIGH LEVELS HAVE THIS ONE.
    I quit playing PR VS just because i got tired of playing with lvl 1, 5,15 and seeing them waste SI and especially tank because they were selfish.

• I understand rank does not reflect skill, but at this point it counts as much, or maybe more than skill. Skill won't save a lvl 5 when he's incapped in a huge puddle of spit. He will die regardless, and if someone tries to save him he will be incapped too. Do not forget that Sticky goo is maxed out on Extreme Co-Op.

• Tell me, Curiosity, how do you like being revived by a lvl 5 and have 30 health? I didn't like it one bit today. And for some reason, although i asked in chat not to be revived by a low lvl, he kept coming at me... so the fourth time he tried, although i asked yet again not to, i just emptied my magnum mag in him. End result? he got incapped and problem was solved. I'd rather sit in the spit and wait for a high lvl to get me up, or burn a medkit than have a lvl 5-20 pick me up, because i don't want to have 30 health. I for one, do not revive anyone on my team under lvl 20. Call me selfish but it works...the lvl 1-5 die and everybody is happy.
    • There is a server for ppl under lv 30. It's called REGULAR COOP. Go there, learn how to play and develop your skills and then come to EXTREME.
    So in the end, I ask again, Please let us High Levels have our EXTREME CO-OP. Besides Helm's Deep it's the only thing we have.Make it LVL 40+

6. ?????

????? Guest

level 30-40+. That's all we're asking.

Let the newbs level up on normal coop and join when they're ready for extreme coop.

7. evilpaul

evilpaul <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

Well, I'd rather use that medkit to heal the person who was kind enough to pick me up (you do have Team Heal, right?) and enjoy having another 5 bounty, 500 XP, 225 HP and a new friend :)

8. smokke1982

smokke1982 Banned

I do have team Heal and it's maxed to lvl 128. But, here is my policy, and i have stated it in my introduction. I Will help/pick-up if i know you/i have played with you before (Ex: Easykill,Rundat, Votekick, TCM, Pilgrim boy scot, sunek, sunburn..these are just a few...to long of a list to enumerate all). Being picked up by a someone that gives you 100+ temp health doesn't force you to burn the kit right away and saving it for more important occasions, like when you are "Black and white". you don't always have 17, 37 bounty to buy medkits.

Another problem with Low levels is that they burn through kits faster than i burn through my clove cigarettes. Example: today we had about 5 lvl 1-16 in Extreme Co-op. Right before we get into the saferoom i say on chat "Do not burn the medkits, someone will group heal." Do you think they listen? Neah....each newbie heals himself and takes a medkit. that ment 5 kits burned out and 5 more to be burned. By the time me and a few came back to the safe-room (we went to kill the tank) there were no medkits left. So i had to spend 36 bounty just to get a med-kit for next round.....that could have gotten 4 more mollys for the team for next round...

So Paul I say no thank you in regards rescuing newbies. The sooner they die in the round the less chances i or someone else has to burn a kit earlier than expected because i/he/she got 30 health after being picked up by a low lvl.

That is if the server stays this way and they don't put a cap limit :) If they do...everybody will be happy

9. Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell Senior Member

I created this thread when extreme was put on nearly all co-op servers (or at least i thought it was) but now we have separate servers for extreme so should be all good. I agree with letting lower levels risking for rewards though.

10. vishus puss

vishus puss MG Donor

Are you sure there is a level restriction for Helm's Deep? I see level 1s in the waiting room all the time!

Also, I'm just curious as to the admin's standpoint on level restriction for some servers. Haven't seen any comment on it yet!

11. MissMaryJane

MissMaryJane Banned

I totally agree with smoke i havent been playing left for dead at all because all servers even extreme we have level 10 and under just slowin us down and getting us killed its to hard to have fun playing a game when you have to babysit a low level player....

12. Nova

Nova Senior Member

Play VI. Bonekeep, Vulcan and Youngblood will make sure you won't have the time to think about others :). There's no PR there, so you don't have to worry about low levels ;)

13. littlebrother

littlebrother MG Donor

lol, epic reply.. was thinking the same thing.. haha

14. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

I kind a agree to make extreme lvl 40+. I dont know if thats possible though, something must be coded to do that probably.

Best thing would be that it offers low lvl players to connect to coop noob.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

15. I appreciate the colourfulness of the feedback. I think if we are talking about the PR VS servers then yeah making two severs one for lvl 40+ the others for lvls <40 is a good idea. It would balance out the games and prevent low lvls from annoying the high lvls. I think that's a really good idea that MG should take seriously for everyones sake.

For the COOP servers, however, they are COOP, you are supposed to play as a team, not just pick up people you like, have played with or you deem high enough lvl to play with you. I don't particularly like being revived by a low lvl but its not the end of the world. It is a game against the computer for points. Does it really matter that much if you die a few times?. You can always take the time incapped to tell low lvls to upgrade their team helper/helping hand skills. Okay you may only get 50 health instead of 100+ but at least you are up killing zombies. I've been picked up by low players and managed to survive to the end of the round and I've seen high lvls just rush on past without even a thought for picking up their teammates and us all die. So I think you have to take the bad with the good.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought team killing was against the rules on all MG servers?

In any game you only improve by playing with people more skilled than you. You learn more by watching what they do and imitating their style of play than through trial and error. If you had a server full of low lvls all not knowing what to do then I doubt that would be too fun for them. You need high lvls to show them the ropes so they can learn how to do it for themselves quicker. I think we all need to be a bit more forgiving of low lvls and a bit more inclusive, they more than likely wont know all about !cp/!buy till you tell them. We all want people to enjoy themselves when on the servers so they keep coming back for more.

I think that often the low lvls can be overlooked when making decisions about the servers and all that does is to prevent low lvls staying on the servers and working through the ranks. Can't we all just learn to play together? It can be fun protecting weaker teammates, like CS protect the VIP, plus that's kinda the aim of COOP play. The EXTREME server is self regulating anyway. The low lvls that cant stand it leave after a few minutes. The ones that stay are up for a challenge and I respect that. Sure it might make it harder for the higher lvls but I prefer things being more difficult. Maybe you prefer always winning but to me thats pretty dull; I like starting a map not knowing that we will make it. Maybe that makes me weird but I'm sure there are others like me.

I wasn't seeking to make the extreme severs less extreme unless the team wanted it that way. I think there are situations where the number of SI is either too high or too low. When there are too few players (1-5) it can be overwhelming regardless of how high lvl the players are, at about 6-12 it is about the right difficulty to make survival not always gauranteed, above that and it is too easy.

In summation:

• Make PR VS servers lvl specific to balance gameplay, prevent low lvls being pwned and high lvls getting annoyed at perceived noob behaviour (kit waste, tank waste etc.)
    • Leave EXTREME servers open to all so players can experience the madness of extreme
    • Reduce max players on EXTREME to <=16 so SI numbers are always equal or greater than the survivors. Option to reduce/increase SI/CI numbers at the start of each round.
    • HUG A NOOB =D
    Just my two pennies.

16. smokke1982

smokke1982 Banned

Answer :D

In summation:

• Make PR VS servers lvl specific to balance gameplay, prevent low lvls being pwned and high lvls getting annoyed at perceived noob behaviour (kit waste, tank waste etc.) - I agree with this one. one should be 1-50, the other one 50+
    • Leave EXTREME servers open to all so players can experience the madness of extreme - Nope...i disagree on this one because: Low levels are a minimal help to the team and a huge liability. Having, let's say 5 lowlies on your team means 5 med-kits are wasted at the end of each round, cause God forbid they wait till someone can group heal all players. Why save when you can waste. Today for example, on Dark carnival finale we had 3 n00bs begging to revive them because they went up on the towers and got smoked and killed.
    • Reduce max players on EXTREME to <=16 so SI numbers are always equal or greater than the survivors. Option to reduce/increase SI/CI numbers at the start of each round. - partially agree. Have 16 human players max and if possible increase the player limit to 32 so we have at least 16 SI. The more SI, the extreme the challenge is. I for one, do not like the second part
    • HUG A NOOB =D. - If afterwards he goes on regular Co-Op yes..i'll hug him till he las 0 health left :P. he can even chose if it's an AK-47 Hug, Molly Hug or katana Hug
    I did not kill him, just incapped him and then revived him, just cause i needed 3 more bounty for a molly. He was asked not to revive me.....yet he did not listen..Twice

P.S: Today we were playing , and from 15 players, 5 were under lvl 20. There was me and votekick that were upgraded enough to give players 200 health on revival. So I nicely asked in chat "Let me and Vote pick in-capped players cause we can give lots of health" and there were others that said the same thing. Do you think they listened? Noo...they were so desperate for 3 bounty, especially the low lvl ones that they were constantly trying to pick someone up. A guy, DEX something, lvl 25 tried 3 times to revive me. First time i told him No...but he still did. The second time the same. So the third time i just crawled off the No mercy roof just because i was pissed at that n00b. Lucky for me, the tank blew him also to heaven :)..Scoooreeeee

17. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

18. #_9

#_9 <span style="color:#66CD00">Game Server Moderator<

I say we should keep it open to any level. If people wanna keep dying on those servers then they are free too do so. PUtting a minimum is unfair to players and servers will emptier. Just because 3 players complain we shouldn't stop listening to the others just wanting to play on the harder servers.

19. smokke1982

smokke1982 Banned

it's not 3 players, mon ami..there are way more ppl that don't like it. I can name at least 10. What do you think happened to the US PR VS servers? many of the ppl i know, high level ones play them less and less because of the noobs growing facility going on.
    Last time i was there, there were 6 high levels players and 12 under 30 ones. half an hour into the game, 3 high lvl's quit....another hour into the game, me, the last high level quit...why? because of the low level game style. When I needed a spiter, they were all taken..i needed a jokey..no jokey... low levels don't care about strategy, about choke-points, about team play at all. under these conditions...no wonder people complain and leave

You have o understand, that on high lvl play, we use strategy, and having a low lvl just gets in the way. Example:

• If half your team is under 30, per say, you cannot throw a molly to clear out a room of SI or CI, because you will hurt your team-mates, or a Bile (if you have the Bile damage maxed) nor you can shoot through a door if they are crammed right in front of it (iron skin not being upgraded)...So what are your choices? Either screw them and throw your molly or hack/slash and hope you don't hit any of them
    • If half your team is under 30,You cannot blow up cars because, god forbid it lands on a n00b and kills him. Plus the fire that ensues...see above
    • If half your team is under 30, They are almost useless against tanks (low melee damage and low swing speed) and COMPLETELY USELESS against Paranoia Tanks (no adrenaline run, most of the time...slow to move, low damage against SI)
    • High levels cooperate more...3 high levels against a tank-swords in hands- finish the job faster and better than 10 low levels shooting for half an hour at it...
    • A low level is a liability to the team. they don't have half our damage nor health, nor speed. A low lvl on an extreme co-op is like a rookie going bear hunting with a slingshot.
    Now answer me this #_9.

You are playing Extreme CO-OP. Out of 16 players, 5 are under lvl 30 and you have 5 of your high level friends waiting to join. What would you do? Let the newbies play and keep saving their asses or send them flying to make room for better players? I already know what i would do, just wanted a second opinion

20. Authentic

Authentic Member

I'll answer it for you.
    Marvel started MG so "everyone" can play in them. If your saying that you would kick a noob just so your friend can join, then isnt that kinda abusing the kick system?
    If this was a server thats a friend invite only then heck why dont we just put in a password and change it every week so certain people can only play in them.
    No offense smoke but i think you are trying to shape everything in this server into your liking. Try to think outside yourself and include everyone in it.
    I dont think that you'll like it if people kicked you out of the game when you were a new player.