1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Expanding the racism/inappropriate name rule?

Discussion in 'Game Server Ideas' started by R.B., Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.B.

R.B. Guest

Hi,

So we all know and unfortunately see outings of racism for which people get (justified) permbans and people with inappropriate names bans of a certain lenght.
    I aint gonna tell this rule is to strong or should be downsized.

Lately i see a lot of players with symbols in their names with religious meanings. Think of the half moon and star, cross etc.
    Because of the stuff happening in the world lately i feel like it can be also very offensive to players seeing these outings of religions and it just doesnt belong in games.
    Therefor i like to suggest the expanding of the rule that players who feel the need to have these symbols or words regarding these outings should be told to change their name out of name of this rule, and if they refuse or just dont do it face a ban of a certain lenght.

NOTE: As of the racism rule, a permban isnt suitable in this suituation.
    NOTE 2: Clan-signs like the GOD one are ofcourse excluded

Grz,
    R.B.

2. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

I don't think we can force people to not use symbols in their name, everyone has free will and if they want to promote their beliefs through a symbol on their name then I say we should let them.
    Imagine you were religious and had a cross in your name, played MG servers for months and then the admins tell you you're not allowed to. I'd think the admins we're de-meaning their freedom of religion.

That being said, if someone is being openly racist/offensive we will permanently ban them instantly. If no admins are online, take a screenshot/demo and post it to this forum and we'll make sure it's handled correctly.

3. R.B.

R.B. Guest

Ok, i had the situation that this player was asking many other players to use a certaib symbol in their name from his religion. Without telling them the real meaning. I was shocked to see that symbol in many names since i knew the meaning of it and i did tell some of them, which resulted in them removing it instantly. What im trying to say is that i honestly wasnt comfortable with seeing these symbols in a game on a server where it had nothing to do with, is an admin allowed to ask for a namechange if the victim asks for it?

4. R.B.

R.B. Guest

I actually made a screenshot with the symbol i meant (not very clear on the photo ingame it was). Its a star and crescent, which is a symbol originally used by the ottoman empire. This symbol w as spread among players yesterday the 24th of april. The day many countries honoured the victims of the armenian genocide (by the ottoman empire). Stuff like this is what i mean, cause this actually can offend a serious amount of people.

5. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

to be honest, if someone gets offended from 100 years old stuff, he shouldn't play online at all =/

I can't even begin to imagine how star and crescent symbol gives someone an idea that hes promoting Armenian genocide. With same reasoning we should ban USA flags because their ancestors killed the native Americans back in 1800's.

When I played in Asia server, some regular always had "卐" swastika symbol. I found it very acceptable since the person was Hindu and before certain European leader started using it, the symbol had a very peaceful meaning. the guy was rather silent and never really said anything other than "tank, kill it".

If someone has a cross or crescent moon symbol on his name, I'm totally fine with it. but if the guy with cross on his name starts to bring the symbol up deliberately by suggesting a fourth crusade against Islam or if the guy with crescent moon starts talking about his religion, I would obviously take action.

Kinda same with the kid who took his cross necklace to the school. It was all right until he started to show it off and bash the Muslim kids, which resulted that he got kicked out of the Shcool.

6. R.B.

R.B. Guest

Ok very clear, then i'd like to close this post.

7. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Closed as per request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.