1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Donaters can join server without waiting?

Discussion in 'Game Server Ideas' started by Collector, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Collector

Collector Guest

Hi there,

Was just wondering if it was possible to join a server which is full without waiting.
    i know on the server i owned for Team Fortress 2 it was possible to join a full server by typing
    "connect (serverip)" and it will kick the person who is in spectator mode or the one who joined last.

should be possible for L4D2 too :)

2. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

Re: Donaters can join server without waiting?

If we enabled reserved slot, then yes.. but you would join as a spectator and forced to wait untill you get playing since teams would be full..

3. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

We don't have Reserved Slots. HonorCode, an admin, said he was going to implement Reserved Slots later on in the future so that donors get more for their money.

4. Collector

Collector Guest

i think the reserved slot you mean is the intregrated system of valve itself?
    I thought there was a mod you can insert which will let you join the server by kicking 1 of the players in the server.
    this only works if the donaters are on a special list which may use this mod to join the server.
    which only works if you use the developers console with the "connect" command.
    you can put the mod on how it should look on who to kick. mostly on the last player who joined or by people who are in spec mode. :) would be handy if you want more donaters on MG :)

5. PepsiDay

PepsiDay Guest

Kicking? Don't think so
    I think joining as 21st player to the server will be better. Join to Spector and wait until some1 will quit is the best idea.

6. Popshotz

Popshotz Guest

We tried that with Admins having a reserved slot so they could join at any time. It didn't work out too well.

7. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Reserved slots, in a way of kicking the most laggy player or the one that last joined isn't possible with L4D.

Besides that, every player can be a potential donor so kicking them is the last thing we want to do.

8. L1teHawk

L1teHawk Senior Member

Kicking players for a donor or admin IMO is unfair. It's a bit aggressive and might even scare players away. All they would have to do is move on to the next server on the serverbrowser, which we don't want.

9. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Also, with reserved slots the server will never be full. It will remain at 20/21 for ages. Sites like gametracker observe this empty slot and lower our server rank down.

10. Collector

Collector Guest

you love gametracker a lot dont you Legend (see's Legend's Stats) hehe.

But yes you all have good points about this. glad too see smart people on a forum :)

11. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

My stats are bad on GameTracker lol. It's a bad website anyway, but everyone who play on our servers just types in "l4d servers" into Google and it's the first one that comes up! Bah.