1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Custom Maps

Discussion in 'Game Server Ideas' started by SuperBunny, Nov 14, 2010.

1. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

Ok just a little Test that i would like to do. but i would rather like some positive feed back on this.

I would like to give custom maps a shot again, but what map/campain should we add? so here is where you have your say, find a map and put it forward for review, we can even do a vote on a selection of maps to add, ofcouse |MG| will also test this map to ensure it is stable for the commuinty, and maybe even some editing.

At this time im only looking for a map for L4D2 that may be run on any of our l4d2 servers. but if this test fails, and no one downloads the map then it will look like we will never attempt to do this again.

We will give advarnced timeing on the release of a new map, so players will have no excuse, its all on you, the commuinty.

So what will it be, you know a map or two that will go good with one of our servers? if so state it here and what server you think it will be best on.

This thread is only made to collect info on all of the best maps that the players like, so only reply with a map and not comments on a map posted by a diffrent player.

2. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

Re: Custom Maps

Just to help point this fair warning out, if this test fails no more custom maps EVER, this would be the 3rd time iv tryed this for the commuinty.

3. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

Suicide Blitz. Made for L4D1 but now converted by Valve to make it work for L4D2.

4. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

I also like Suicide blitz.

but, Since this is our last try, and we already tested suicide blitz on l4d1 (of course l4d2 players could download it more than l4d1 players) but theres also that, the map is made for l4d1, so we dont know how it will work with l4d2, and if people wants to play it over and over again, since it has the annoying lift part. (where the noobs cant move foward) :P, so if we dont want to take any risks, then Haunted Forest v1.1 would be a good choice too..

Some info of Haunted Forest v1.1
    - Its made for L4D2
    - Maps are large, so they should work with high populated server.
    - The map is well detailed and nicely made. (its not a basic hallway, that has some small details.)
    - Works with CoOp and Versus.
    - 3 well detailed maps! (Campaign size 150 MB)
    - Ghosts (Server side) Includes to the map, so no specfic plugin needed..
    - Perfect darkness! and the map is spooky on it's own way, and also scary in some ways. (expecially when theres a smoker or hunter player trying ambush you.) xD
    - Map should be Balanced for Versus and is challenging too, (should be fine for 10 surviors)
    - Finale is hard for 4 surviors. (however, it should be fine for 10).
    - Weapons should be well spread. (all over the map, in good locations) - According to the comments.
    - The scary objects and illusions are in most scariest and sadistic places.
    - According to the comments "Recommended for players of all skill levels."

[​IMG]

I really liked the campaign for a spend of a time. (i would play it over and over again). :p.
    - Haunted Forest v1.1

5. Youngblood

Youngblood MG Donor

How about Detour Ahead? May not be the best but I think alot of people have it already which might help out with the test.

6. Angel

Angel MG Donor

Personally I would love to see the campaign called "2 evil eyes" on the servers, which can be found here: http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=4634

It's a quite challenging campaign and requires a bit of teamplay to get through. It has got 6 maps and is both a day and night campaign. It was also once featured as a community map by Valve, so there might be a better chance that some players actually have it already.

7. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Like I said before this is pointless.

People need addon support installed, people need to download the maps, you need to keep track of map versions, do updates etc etc etc it's undo-able.

I've tried this over and over and over again and tried to make it as easy as possible to download the maps but still nobody would do it. I can't think of a reason why it would succeed now when it didn't a couple of months ago, go figure.

At least if you try it make an 8 player vanilla server with custom maps, that's the only way it will succeed and even then it will be empty most day, I'm sure.

8. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

So basically, a server side downloader is only way around? :? How hard would that be? to develop something like it from scratch, without any steam support?

9. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

Why are there like 3 topics on this? :)

10. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

because it may just work hehe

11. Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell Senior Member

we got like 7 people last night with helmsdeep, thats a good start imo

12. SuperBunny

SuperBunny Guest

im seeing more and more people each time we put up a map, so its working =D

13. Wolf O'Donnell

Wolf O'Donnell Senior Member

Indeed! Helms deep is just epic now, and we had 15 players in haunted forest too!! This is awesome!