1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Custom map for Tank Events?

Discussion in '[L4D2] Points Reloaded' started by CrazyRabbit, Jun 21, 2012.

1. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

Meet the Tank Arena - Exclusive to MG! (Better name to be established later.)

Not finished yet, but once it is, perhaps this can be used for events. It's lightweight (no heavy scripting and no fancy details).

I've based it on an ancient arena (Aliens vs Predator style perhaps?), where the Obelisks as we all know contain magical upgrades (upgrades to be determined with a small random item script that spits out cool stuff at certain intervals).

You can go in as an admin and spawn tanks or whatever you want, but basically it's just a huge open play area that shouldn't lag/crash the server as much as the Valve maps, with easy support for 16 players.

View attachment 1774 View attachment 1775 View attachment 1776

-CR

2. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

Wow O_o I can imagine some crazy events taking place there already! Perhaps I should get to work on porting that Hell Tank hehe :)

3. Stoned

Stoned Senior Member

The arena might seem too "open" for me. One or two rocks would knock down the whole team. So maybe adding some big boulders or trees in there might be better. Just a thought :)

4. lukemurawski

If you ever fight the Hell Tank, that'd be your downfall. You would probably need wide open spaces... I'm adding custom particles for that tank, so it'll be hurling meteors at you instead of rocks :P If a tree gets in the way and you aren't able to escape, you die.

5. Stoned

Stoned Senior Member

I see. I've didn't even know what attacks it had, so I assumed it was just normal, just like shamans, knights, etc.

EDIT: Can we add my tank suggestion in here? http://mgftw.com/showthread.php/6474-MG-Needs-The-Last-Tank-(Suggestion)?p=57698#post57698 :P LuKeM said he might work on it and hopefully get it done by 1.3.1

6. CrazyRabbit

I was thinking of doing a high ground, but that could just cause issues. I want this to be a "level playing field", where it's just tanks vs survivors. Survivors will have a good chance with the help of the 2 Obelisks since the tanks can be quite powerful.

You can dodge rocks by using Adrenaline and a Paranoia earthquake won't knock you out of the map like in Valve maps, it also makes it harder for the tanks to get stuck or glitch out. I'd assume this map would only be used in Tank Events and most people in an event are ranking level 150-200 and they should definitely have a fighting chance. I have thrown a lot at them in smaller events and they survived.

But since I'm the author and it's exclusive to MG, it's a work in progress and things can be changed in the future to suit the needs of this community.

Thanks for the feedback too guys, it helps make the map better.

-CR

7. CrazyRabbit

Right, so I've decided that my latest map is being made exclusively for Marvelous Gaming (it has the MG logo in the starting area and won't be released on L4Dmaps). It will be dedicated to hosting tank battles inside a large arena.

To make it more fun, players will be able to interact with outlines of props to create fortifications (if you've played Let's Build a Rocket, then you know what I mean). Fortifications can be made right away and won't cost anything, but the round will automatically start after the timer runs out (about 60 seconds). Each item will take a certain amount of time to build (5-10seconds). Tanks will spawn from spawners that are placed randomly around the map when the round starts.

What I need to know is would you like Commons and SI included on the map or would you like to just focus on fighting the Tanks and building fortifications without the SI and Commons. You could potentially be fighting 3 or 4 Tanks at one time depending on how long it takes to kill the first one that spawned (Royal Rumble style) and whether or not the Tank has mutated into a Paranoia, Knight, Shaman or any one of the other new tanks.

Tank spawns could be calculated by how "Angry" you make the "Director", although an admin could bump up the difficulty at any time if online.

8. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

I think lets try tanks-only. :D Because a para, shaman and other tanks at the same time is already so crazy.

9. If you still have a copy of the HammerCode binary I sent you, you can create a HC Trigger with the following code and FireUser1 when you want it to execute:
    Code:
    ServerCmd { cmd: sm_cvar z_difficulty impossible; }

You can also save a vector of the player positions and use CreateSI to spawn tanks near the closest spawn point. If needed, you can attempt to give each tank random stats like speed, health, etc by using other HC functions.

10. CrazyRabbit

I no longer have the HC, because I thought you were done with it? Besides that, Sourcemod was causing issues with my Hammer, it would keep crashing L4D2 when I was testing it so I removed that as well (even had an issue where the map wouldn't load after a compile).

I think the Anger values for the Director will work just as well. But I think an admin spawning stuff will be a better option in the end, which I will probably do because this map is gonna rock!

11. CrazyRabbit

And don't forget some people will be preoccupied with building stuff to help you survive longer, so that might be 2-3 less guns every 5-10 seconds.

12. CrazyRabbit

I should have something playable this weekend if people are keen to try it out. I will release a 7zip file with the VPK inside later on sometime, so keep checking this thread.

I forgot to mention we need to turn off the !buy system, as I have a workbench set up where you have to research weapons and then equip them. All weapons, ammo and everything can be unlocked and equipped, so there is no need for the !buy system on this map.

13. lukemurawski

Just PM me any custom code you want me to write. I will compile a version w/o the buy system for this event. Thanks for your hard work!

14. Beasty Ribs

Beasty Ribs Guest

keep the !buy I was planning on buying vending machines to use to make it more fun.It would promote mgftw store sales!!
    \

edit nvm. didnt read rabbits post 1st.. his idea sounds cooler....

15. lukemurawski

You can spawn your bought machines with !inv. Buy isn't needed

16. CrazyRabbit

Enough talking, here's some actual screenshots of the last build for today... will work on it some more tomorrow. It's playable currently if you spawn your own tanks (I will make them automated soon).

I'm looking to add an epic ending to it, similar to Helms Deep.

Starting area, you need to unlock the gates before exiting:
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...ApA/Y2NNp5cTVt0/s1200/mgftw_tankarena0001.jpg

The tech tree and hint. You need to unlock them first before you can equip:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Ap4/824si4MX_MY/s1200/mgftw_tankarena0014.jpg

Building some objects as defenses. All outlines are separate build items and vary in construction time:
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...ApQ/6B6PzWFUHQ8/s1200/mgftw_tankarena0006.jpg

What you see when exiting the safe room area:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...Apw/UTj5BbTtlQU/s1200/mgftw_tankarena0013.jpg

Getting pwned by 3 normal tanks.. lasted about 5 seconds:
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AqA/inCXgGbaUd8/s1200/mgftw_tankarena0019.jpg

17. lukemurawski

Omfg... that's absolutely amazing! :) I have played Let's Build a Car before, but this tank arena thing is SO MUCH better! I am so excited to play this. Again, job well done! I knew I could count on you.

Let's make sure the map works with PR and fine tune things tomorrow. If you would like me to develop a special kind of tank for this event (even with custom models), let me know!

Again, this looks incredible. I would like to sign up as a beta tester ^^

18. FaRCrY

FaRCrY MG Donor

AWESOME MAN 10/10!! Nice map!

19. Tom1993

Tom1993 Head Administrator Staff Member

Looks awesome, can't wait for this :D Gonna test this for sure if possible

20. MetallicA

MetallicA <span style="color:#66CD00">Moderator</span>

Just a suggestion : 1 mil HP