1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Custom map for Tank Events?

Discussion in '[L4D2] Points Reloaded' started by CrazyRabbit, Jun 21, 2012.

1. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

Hi all,

While a custom battle arena is yet to be made, I was wondering if loading one of my current custom maps onto a server would be worth the effort?

I have a medium sized wooded area map (called The Hunted on L4Dmaps.com), which has since been updated (although that updated version is unreleased at present). It's only a small download (under 10mb), but it could be perfect for Events that require the presence of multiple tanks. It's very optimised and could be optimised even more if required so it could run a great 16 player Tank Event. Tank Events will easily fill a server for 2-3hrs while an admin is there running it.

At the moment running a Tank Event on the Chicago server will cause it to crash because we're running it on a large Valve map like Blood Harvest Finale (I did this last night for everyone and it seemed to be a huge success, except for the crashing of the server although that didn't deter people as long as I came back and kept the event going). Multiple tanks could be spawned, but the medkits and defibs and other items that had been spawned were causing it to lag and eventually crash.

All I'm asking is whether we could load this map (either now, or when the permanent servers are back online) and let it be for custom events only. Because I'm the author of the map, I figure using one of my maps would be beneficial for making sure it works properly first before adding it to the server, so perhaps getting it on a test server (Luke ;)) would help iron out any potential bugs first.

Obviously this doesn't have to happen overnight (since I haven't actually done the navigation for it yet), but it could be ready for testing by the end of the weekend. I just want to know if you'd like it to be used and I can custom fit it for Tank Events. I could create custom containers that can spawn items/weapons for money so the admin doesn't have to spam them, which is how I've been doing it and it seems unproductive and unhealthy for the server.

Possibly coming soon to a MG server near you... The Hunted: Tanked Edition.

Let me know what you think, especially you Marvel :)

Thanks, CR

Some pics of the current state of the map.

View attachment 1765 View attachment 1766

2. CrazyRabbit

3. lukemurawski

lukemurawski Senior Member

I second this. Maybe we can install this onto the event server (currently HD) so we can run some cool events. I'm willing to write out some custom tank battles with custom models and animations, which we can add on top of this gorgeous map.

4. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

Just tested this map, it is great!:) Good job crazy rabbit. It is open with good elevation in the terrain, seems perfect for tank battles, nice dark rainy atmosphere and the shack feels "safe".

Would love to play this map on MG ;)

5. CrazyRabbit

Thanks MarksmanR.

I've changed the feel of the map since that one you played was released. As you can see in my screenshots I added above, it's more of a morning feel now (think of it like the next morning after the storm...). I've also changed the woods to make it more dense and some other changes also. I actually prefer my updated version over the currently released map, but if we wanted to play it in the dark stormy weather, we could use them both.

6. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

i like the map :P

And surely if you spam normal tanks from admin menu in coop servers, the server will crash eventually :P (especially in finales)

Also, we should avoid spawning tanks in finales as they will give gems and other stuff to players, unlike in regular maps.

I also agree that the tank spamming should be done in your map :P

7. BadBunny

BadBunny Guest

Can some help me with the install??? Where i have to put the map in???

8. BadBunny

BadBunny Guest

I found it i hope: Steam steamapps common left 4 dead 2left4dead2 addons right?

Edit: Hmmm maybe that was wrong, cant find it in SinglePlayer???

9. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\addons

Then double click it and install it with l4d2addonmanager.

I like the map Crazy. Was wondering, if through map manipulation, you could change weather on different tank spawns. What about making it foggier when a certain tank spawns? That'd be awesome. There is in fact already a plugin out there to change weather on command which I think is a cool option. This could change the dynamics of the gameplay when surviving an onlaught of tanks.

How viable do you think is increasing the map size? We could have one area for the first set of tanks and another area for a larger set of tanks. Through SourceMod integration we could buff up the tanks in consequent areas. I'd like to see a group of survivors fighting their way up a mountainside where they eventually get rescued by a chopper. Perhaps even let the survivors choose their escape and then as a result you could change the scenario of what comes first - hordes of zombies or hordes of tanks.

10. BadBunny

BadBunny Guest

Oh addoninstaller... Can you give me a page where i can download it???

11. LEGEND

LEGEND Senior Member

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\bin

Find it in there :)

12. BadBunny

BadBunny Guest

.... was not installed.
    It is possible that the addon is already installed and in use...

13. Stefeman

Stefeman Head Administrator Staff Member

U dont need that "addoninstaller" as you can just copy paste the .vpk to addons folder where the game should be able to read it.

14. BadBunny

BadBunny Guest

Ehhhm i think im too stupid...The .vpk are in that folder but it doesnt work on singleplayer (just want to test) now i try to install with that addoninstaller and i got the error or whatever its is...What now???

Edit: ok i delete it now then tell me plz what i have to do from start to end...I doubleclick the zip and then???

Hmm maybe i cant play this maps on singleplayer???

15. lukemurawski

It's a survival map. You need to copy and paste the VPK file into your addons folder. Next, you need to enable addon support in your L4D2 settings (click options on the L4D2 Main Menu). Next, restart L4D2 so the changes take effect, and then play survival mode.

16. enjoie70

enjoie70 Junior Member

17. lukemurawski

You could just use CreateEntityByName() and create an env_fogcontroller. When you need the fog to change, delete it and spawn/dispatch another one. Silvers made a L4D2 Weather Control plugin, but considering this is a custom map, we don't even need it as Hammer inputs/outputs along with HammerCode could easily pull this off.

18. BadBunny

BadBunny Guest

Yayyyyyy it work...Ty sooo much Luke!!!

And sorry for spam offTopic :S

19. REN

REN Junior Member

A custom map for tank events sounds great, especially if it is only around 10mb download. So far most of the admins have had to teleport us to parts of the map that are supposed to be "tank arenas". Having a map like this that has defined borders would save admins the trouble of teleporting people to areas that may be glitched.

20. CrazyRabbit

Exactly why I bring it up. The fact I have a map in the wings was just a coincidence. It's a lot easier to customise it to the specifications we'd need for the server and won't take long because the layout is already made.