1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

Custom campaigns have been removed

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HonorCode, Feb 24, 2013.

1. HonorCode

HonorCode Head Administrator Staff Member

Well! It was very cool while it lasted, but we cannot have a custom campaigns servers until Valve and the Left 4 Dead 2 development team decides to give a little bit more support to dedicated servers (and of course once they decide to fix some important bugs).

Anyway, I personally had a lot of fun on the server, and I hope you all did too.

The US Coop server is still online running official campaigns.

See you all in game!

2. erik

erik MG Donor

I constantly and consistently played on that server while it was hosting custom maps, often times just running through them on my own to figure out how to play them.

We had a huge influx of new gamers there...

Hopefully we can host it again when they at LEAST provide a fix for the issue that kicks the entire server when campaigns change on custom maps.

3. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

Or a fix that makes it so custom campaigns are just one file, my PC must be to blame for the constant bug that wouldn't allow 1 part of a 3 part campaign not load into the mods. Addon folder versions run fine.

4. MarksmanR

MarksmanR MG Donor

Currently using a fake iPad called Melon that runs Win 7.

Neeed a gaming laptop/PC my brain is crying.

5. marvel

marvel Head Administrator Staff Member

That bug where it kicks the entire server has been there from the beginning, I doubt they will ever fix that, I already emailed Valve about that a couple of times in the past and there are forum posts as well but they still didn't fix it.

I think there is a workaround though, if you extract the VPK and copy the BSP mapfiles in the maps folder on the server (same folder as the virtual path in the VPK) I think it works because the bug is that it can't find the map file although it's in the VPK.

It's not a L4D issue anyway it's more of an issue with the auto map change mod I think, because normally you would only play custom campaigns through lobby connections.

6. Yeah i loved playing the custom maps, a nice break from all the usual stuff.
    Just finish the campaign together with a new lvl 1, or on your own, great fun.
    I hope to see the custom campaigns back in the future.

7. CrazyRabbit

CrazyRabbit Game Server Moderator

Not sure if any of you saw this, but a 20th Feb update to L4D2 added this...

- Added support for dedicated servers to load addons from the "workshop" subdirectory. Fixes consistency errors when playing workshop campaigns on dedicated servers.

NOTE TO SERVER OPERATORS: To host workshop campaigns on your dedicated server, they should now be placed in the same location as on the client (/left4dead2/addons/workshop/…) Campaigns not downloaded from the workshop can still go in the "addons" directory.

I know the addons are gone now, but maybe this was the cause of some of these 'kick on campaign load' issues. Well, at least we know for next time.