1. Click here to join our community discord server.

crash to desktop and/or slow l4d2 loading/closing screen after last friday's update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Burial_Ground, Oct 13, 2013.

1. if you experience problems like a crash to desktop after server switch with this error: failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer

or closing down l4d2 is very slow, then you could follow this discussion

http://steamcommunity.com/app/550/discussions/0/810938082354911170/

i also had the vertex crash to desktop engine error, but i managed to fix this
    and posted my actions there.

2. Tom1993

Tom1993 Head Administrator Staff Member

I was also experiencing the same, fixed it by changing the dxlevel

3. Duncan

Duncan New Member

I get the "vertex crash" too, but only after finales when the new campaign starts to load (this happens every time since the update)

4. TastyFish

TastyFish Member

What DX level did you use? Does the higher number mean the latest version? I have an nVidia 560ti with Windows 7 so I should be fine running any latest version.

Edit: just tried all the DX levels and did not work.

5. yeah i have this problem too recently. L4D2 crashes often when i try to connect to mgftw server. changing dx level doesn't work. the only thing that seems to work for me is to just restart steam and reopen l4d2 until you no longer crash

6. Found a quickfix to this problem:

Change to windowed mode (border or borderless both work).
    You just have to be in windowed mode before connecting to server/loading next map after finale.

I was plagued with that vertex buffer issue and after changing to windowed mode the problem finally disappear.
    just have to use this until the next update or something.