1. Click here to join our community discord server.

Dismiss Notice

Don't forget to connect your Steam account to your forum profile. Click here to do this now or click your name in the right-top corner and choose 'External Accounts'.

Cannot Play Hardcore Custom COOP :(

Discussion in 'Server Questions / Issues' started by Jon Snow Lives!!, May 16, 2016.

1. Jon Snow Lives!!

Jon Snow Lives!! Junior Member

So I tried to log into your custom map server and I got an error message as in the screenshot. Previously there was no problem, only if I had the particular map. For maps I didn't have, I was told to use this link: https://mirror.mgftw.com/ to download them. I tried downloading one but never finished it because it took too long (it's a big file, I get it) but I would have to leave the PC on overnight to get the maps. But since I stopped the download, the problem started. Even if I have the map (Military Industrial Complex 2 in this case), the screen loads unusually fast compared to other servers (and given that I'm in Asia), but then crashes to desktop.

Help me out please! It's nicer to play custom maps with y'all once in a while! :(

2. fnord

fnord Game Server Moderator Staff Member

I would re-download the campaigns that are giving you errors. https://mirror.mgftw.com/vpk/

Another thing you can do is use download manager software that can pause and resume downloads when the file size is too big. GL!

3. Jon Snow Lives!!

I downloaded the vpk files, clicked on them and it said they were successfully installed. But when I opened the game, they didn't show up in Add-Ons. It's strange because I got music files on an external site; did the same thing as described and it worked. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

4. Sometimes, if your addons arent loading ingame you will want to wait for the Left 4 Dead loading symbol to load up whatever addons you may have downloaded elsewhere (steam workshop etc). Also its not a bad idea to only enable the custom campaigns that are played on the mgftw Custom COOP server so you can avoid any possible conflicts. also if for some reason you cannot join the Custom COOP server with your addons enabled, it may be just because you might need to restart your Left 4 Dead 2 to try again, or any other reason (verifying your game cache etc).

Let me know if this helps you out man. Feel free to ask me and any other Custom COOP mgftw player as well as the Custom COOP admins if you need any additional help! your welcome :)

5. raz

raz Head Administrator Staff Member

If they didn't show up in the add-ons then they're not installed, all of them should be in your left4dead 2 addons folder, which should be something like:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2\left4dead2\addons

If double clicking them isn't working, simply copy them over manually to that folder.

6. Jon Snow Lives!!

I verified the game cache but '1 file failed to download and will be reacquired'. This doesn't impact gameplay adversely based on multiple experiences. And I definitely waited for the loading symbol to disappear.

They're all there, Raz. Whatever maps I didn't download from the 'mirror site', I simply downloaded them off the Workshop.

When all else fails, I simply reinstall the game. But that was a long time ago.

7. fnord

fnord Game Server Moderator Staff Member

Jon, I can tell from that screenshot that the maps are NOT installed properly. The file sizes are not correct, for example, see the map "deadcity2.vpk". That file should be 296,450KB and your file size is 3,718KB, 293mb too small :D

The only maps that look like they are installed properly are echo and urban underground, the rest of the file names with the L0*** are not installed properly. Re-dowload the VPK files from MGFTW, delete the files in your addon folder, and re-install and they will work. See below to see how your folder should look.

[​IMG]

8. raz

raz Head Administrator Staff Member

Basically what he said yeah, and you might wanna make that pic a little bigger so he can actually see it fnord. :D

9. Me and Raz talked about it in steam chat...

|MG| raz: getting them from somewhere else could easily be a different version too

Getting the custom maps from steam workshop/gamemaps probably would cause problems when you try to play on the Custom COOP server. Really, that explains why you should be downloading the maps from mgftw's download link in the first place (all map versions are correct as they appear ingame on said server)